cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lug nuts cracking

cj99
Explorer
Explorer
So like the title say I just wanted to bring this up for you all to check your lug nuts next time you pull off a tire. I had a blow out about 2 weeks ago on my 2012 road warrior and when changing the tire I noticed the lug nuts ( all most all of them ) had started to crack down the side.
This is not a concern of the tire/wheel coming off as with these lug nuts are 2 piece ( when they are made ) and worse case if you have them crack too much you wont beable to get them off in order to change a tire. So being I had stock / factory 2012 tires ( made in 2011 on the tire code ) my blow out was one of those not caused from road debris but looked like the steel belting came apart so I cant trust the rest of them so I was in the middle of changing all 6 at home and notice the cracking issue. I posted this not because of one bad lug nut but I had to order 48 of them and I would say almost all of them were cracking some bad.
13 REPLIES 13

cj99
Explorer
Explorer
well I just order 48 new solid ones

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't tell for sure looking at pictures, but I have a feeling that the covers broke like that becouse they touch the wheel flare before the nut.
Meaning to some degree the wheels were hold by covers.
Would not trust manufacturer like this at all.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Many cars and trucks have a similar style lug nut, I see them often on Chrysler/Dodge products. Often the nut underneath rusts/corrodes and pushes out on the chrome plated covers, causing them to split. Sometimes they swell so much you can't get the correct size socket on them.
When I have issues with them, I replace with solid, 1 piece chrome plated lug nuts from my local auto parts store or tire shop.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, buy better lug nut COVERS! The lug nuts may be just fine.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
cj99 wrote:
so if they come off ( the beauty cover ) then I can still get my lug wrench one them ? that was my concern

You would need an odd sized socket to get them off. Once off, buy better lug nuts.

cj99
Explorer
Explorer
so if they come off ( the beauty cover ) then I can still get my lug wrench one them ? that was my concern

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II

x3 on covers. It is cosmetic issue, but sure doesn't sound right.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
cj99 - The cracks you are referring to are simply covers on the lugnut to make them more attractive, as MexicoWanderer stated.

No need for concern.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
LINK
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
WAIT A MINUTE!

"as with these lug nuts are 2 piece"

I referred to my official book of cyber hieroglyphics, and translated your post...

Regulator lug nuts with "beauty" chrome dressing pressed over top onto the steel nuts.

Quicksilver has beauty nuts (no cracks literally thank you)

Special nylon coated steel high-strength sockets are sold to protect beauty nuts. Use one to protect your nuts. A jockstrap for the wheels.

cj99
Explorer
Explorer
how do you attach picture I tryied using google plus and picasa

https://picasaweb.google.com/111185576320326182103/April122016

cj99
Explorer
Explorer
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111185576320326182103/posts/HWNNcmeH6X4?pid=6272720167713434290&oid=111185576320326182103
trying to post picture

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That sure sounds like worth raising red flag with manufacturer or higher authorities.
How about a picture?