Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

melting temperature of waste tanks

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Does anyone know the melting temperature for the black and grey water tanks? Thanks in advance.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
21 REPLIES 21

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
One time in another century, we were moving so I drained the waterbed. I forgot to turn off the heater. About an hour later we smelled something. The heater had melted the waterbed and charred the plywood deck black.

I don't know if I would use one on a tank that might be dry.
RVing since 1995.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
As others have noted, the mass and the amount of surface are going to keep the temperature of the interface lower. If it was my heater of choice, I'd like to control the heating pad so that it operates at the right temperature for the application.

FWIW, I'm going to try an unorthodox tank heating apparatus on my trailer. I plan to use a gutter heating cable deployed under the black tank and, if it's possible, alongside the drain piping. I've actually succumbed to the design idea of totally enclosing the tank with a framed, insulated enclosure and extending the enclosure to envelop the waste plumbing and dump valves. This would be an effort to make the tank and dump lines serviceable at very low temperatures. An added benefit of heating the waste tank is that it is located beneath the bathroom floor and extends under the bunk area.

My effort will be to build a steel cage under the tank, face it off with sheet goods, probably vinyl coated aluminum as I have some and it is inexpensive. I will also face off the inside of the enclosure walls with a sheet foam insulation board. This will make that insulated enclosure very easy to heat and if my gutter tape is deployed correctly, heat the tank and dump piping.

One wrinkle into this is I now have a single tank. Do I install a second gray tank into this enclosure and how will that fit? It is just a wrinkle. Anything can be done.

Sorry to go so far off topic with my own needs but I hope it illustrates that there is more than one way to keep a waste tank heated. The waterbed heater make work excellently. One test you could perform is deploy the heater under some filled water jugs to see how the heat transfer works and what temperatures are at hand. Good luck!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Hehehehe! I was going to ask what on earth did you eat......

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah they do get hot, but don't forget that those heaters have 400g of water on top of them, so in THAT service hardly get warm. You want to turn frozen into cold with nowhere near that volume and a considerably denser insulator, so IMO you might have a problem attempting to back it down. Might want to see if it can stand an AC dimmer on it, or bond it to a thin aluminum plate to protect both.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
The reason for the question is someone has given me a water bed heater. It is a large flexible pad. In testing it gets up to 166 f (76 c).

Are the holding tanks ABS or are they polyethylene?

ABS.....waste tanks

IF you plan on using that water bed heater then you need to use a thermocube to control on/off temp

TC-3 would work (on at 35*F/off at 45*F)------rv waste tank heater pads turn on at 40*F off at 60*F
but the TC-3 thermocube would keep liquids in tanks from freezing

Thenocube
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The reason for the question is someone has given me a water bed heater. It is a large flexible pad. In testing it gets up to 166 f (76 c).

Are the holding tanks ABS or are they polyethylene?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The downside of ABS is that it has to be extruded at a higher temperature: Its glass transition temperature is ~105 ยฐC. ABS is amorphous and therefore has no true melting point, however 230ยฐC is the standard for printing.Apr 15, 2016

(google)