cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave / Generator issues.......

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
I recently acquired a Honeywell (Generac) 2000 watt inverter generator which seems to be in really nice shape, (and a hell of a lot quieter than my big old Champion). The gen starts really easy, puts out 118-120v constant and will run pretty much everything I throw at it with the exception of the A/C, which I expected anyway. For some reason my 900w Dometic RV microwave does not like this gen....... I would have thought that a 2000 watt 2200 peak gen should handle the start up load of this microwave with no real issues. The microwave will run about every half dozen attempts but the gen does have to work quite hard when it does start.. Now I realize that the Generac IX2000 is no Honda and I am certainly not comparing it to one but come on... Am I expecting too much or is it possible that the microwave is on the way out??? It is after all a 97 model year..

I should add that the microwave will run off my 1500 watt inverter, but I really don't like killing batteries that fast....

For those that are going to say it.... Buy a Honda, or a Yamaha, don't waste your time or money on off shore gens..... I already agree with you... I just happen to have this one and would like to stick with what I have for now... Unless you are buying....lol...

Forgot to mention... I have already ensured that everything else in the trailer has been turned off, including the charger, fridge etc.
47 REPLIES 47

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Have you plugged the microwave into the generator direct?
And similarly try your home MW direct in the generator.

Yes the generator should run any microwave just fine. Does generator have an eco mode to turn off?
Maybe a fresh spark plug, new gasoline or carburetor rebuild.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I measured inrush with the LG 900-watt in this house and ended up showing 2700 watts. I don't have my Tektronix to see the wave form but I'll bet it's ugleeee... I have been getting hopeful results connecting a run-capacitor across L-N on inductive loads fed by marginal power. But it takes 20+ uf which is a fair size run cap. The cap needs to be on line when the load is introduced. Good luck.

MrWizard
anything else on
converter, fridge, water heater , electric heater ?
some additional load that tips the power load to far ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s