cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mud dauber screens

dsmith3
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new 2015 Jay Flight 32BHDS and want to install mud dauber screens on the following popular areas:
(1) fridge vent
(2) water heater
(3) furnace exhaust

Our dealer said the furnace exhaust screen wasn't yet available for our model TT since it is a different setup for the 2015 Jay Flights. Also, the dealer was doing inventory when we took possession so we weren't able to purchase the other screens for fridge and water heater.

QUESTIONS:
(1) What brand (and part numbers if known) of screens do folks recommend for these three items for the Jayflight and where can they be purchased?
(2) Or do folks just cut their own screens to size?
(3) Any other items need protection from bugs/birds (e.g., rear bumper end caps, etc.)?

NOTE: We also have the enclosed underbelly so from what I can tell at a quick glance it looks to be pretty well closed off from critters.

Many thanks,
Dave
2015 Jay Flight 32 BHDS (Elite, Tech, Thermal pkgs)
1999 Ford F-250 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab SRW 3.73
6.0L Trans Cooler
Gauges: EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost
K&N Cold Air Intake
MBRP 4" Exhaust
Curt Class IV Hitch
P3 Controller
ProPride 3P Hitch 1400
27 REPLIES 27

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Tom N wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
When you install ANY type Insect screen over the outside refer vent, you cut the air flow volume by about 50%. Big deal? Yes, when it gets over 70 degrees outside. Reduced fresh air flow over the refer Condenser coil will inhibit correct cooling. IF Insects make a nest on the refer burner it is easy to fix. Think about this when you decide to install the screens. Doug

Not if the screen is designed correctly.

My furnace screens are convex. With a convex shape the total screen opening equals the opening without a screens installed.

This is the one I bought from Camping World for my intake/exhaust propane furnace vents.

PLEASE read and understand the words I wrote. I am talking about the REFER vent, not the furnace/water heater vents. Doug

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Screens...don't need no stinking screens..I just use a small flat rag on the inside of the water heater cover & a sock stuffed in the holes of the furnace discharge vent & nuttin covering the fridge vent...of course I remove em when in use & have never had any uninvited creatures in the umteen years of doing this stuff.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Can you tell me why?

I'm sure you're right, and it's just an RV myth, but on the other hand I can not see how it would do any damage either. No harm no foul right?

FWIW, the RV myth I was told was to use Flea collars. I did in the old HW and never had a problem, of course in the new rig I don't have one, and never had a problem either. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Baby it's cold outside. The pests don't like the outside when your unit is a lot more comfy.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
I recommend no pest strips or moth balls...

Can you tell me why?

I'm sure you're right, and it's just an RV myth, but on the other hand I can not see how it would do any damage either. No harm no foul right?

FWIW, the RV myth I was told was to use Flea collars. I did in the old HW and never had a problem, of course in the new rig I don't have one, and never had a problem either. ๐Ÿ˜‰

You might be misunderstanding me- I recommend the "No-Pest Strip", not no pest strips.
These things repel the bugs- spiders and wasps in particular. Spiders are especially problematic, and completely unaffected by the screens.

LOL, got it! That makes a ton of common sense. Thanks again for your help.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I have this screen on my Norcold N621. It comes with 2 tie-wraps for each screen. I added a 3rd tie-wrap to each screen when I installed them. Note: the screens have a finished side and a non-finished side. Install them with the finished side exposed - so that anyone who takes a closer look at it will see a nice looking screen.

I have this screen on my Atwood 6 gallon water heater.

I have this screen on my Suburban furnace.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:

Can you tell me why?

You might be misunderstanding me- I recommend the "No-Pest Strip", not no pest strips.
These things repel the bugs- spiders and wasps in particular. Spiders are especially problematic, and completely unaffected by the screens.
-- Chris Bryant

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

Can you tell me why?

Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
When you install ANY type Insect screen over the outside refer vent, you cut the air flow volume by about 50%. Big deal? Yes, when it gets over 70 degrees outside. Reduced fresh air flow over the refer Condenser coil will inhibit correct cooling. IF Insects make a nest on the refer burner it is easy to fix. Think about this when you decide to install the screens. Doug

Not if the screen is designed correctly.

My furnace screens are convex. With a convex shape the total screen opening equals the opening without a screens installed.

This is the one I bought from Camping World for my intake/exhaust propane furnace vents.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
"If this is true, why not just remove the entire lower refrig panel cover to significantly increase air flow? The panel seems to have been designed to provide only relatively small air vents and mostly covers the space."

That is not my post.

While it is not your post, it is a good question. YES, if you remove the door you will get more volume of fresh cool air up the back of the refer and it will cool better. BUT, if it rains or you wash the RV then you get significant water intrusion on the back side of the refer mount floor and on the control systems. The upper roof vent and rear bottom access door has been designed to get the correct volume of air in normal operation. The FIRST thing I do in the hot summer when getting cooling complaints and the outside access door has screen material, I remove the door for my cooling tests. Doug

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"If this is true, why not just remove the entire lower refrig panel cover to significantly increase air flow? The panel seems to have been designed to provide only relatively small air vents and mostly covers the space."

That is not my post.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
When you install ANY type Insect screen over the outside refer vent, you cut the air flow volume by about 50%.

If this is true, why not just remove the entire lower refrig panel cover to significantly increase air flow? The panel seems to have been designed to provide only relatively small air vents and mostly covers the space.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I use the plain old galvanized window screen.
cpaulsen

dsmith3
Explorer
Explorer
What gauge and grid size (e.g., 1/8-inch) of hardware cloth do y'all use?
2015 Jay Flight 32 BHDS (Elite, Tech, Thermal pkgs)
1999 Ford F-250 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab SRW 3.73
6.0L Trans Cooler
Gauges: EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost
K&N Cold Air Intake
MBRP 4" Exhaust
Curt Class IV Hitch
P3 Controller
ProPride 3P Hitch 1400

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
wlstroud wrote:
I cut galvanized hardware cloth to fit behind the removable vent cover for the refrigerator. I bought the WH and furnace stainless steel vent covers mesh from Camping World. I have had no problems with any of them after years of use.
I also put hardware cloth under the LP tank storage bays (2) to keep out the wasps and nests. I screened the back open area of the fifth wheel hitch where birds like to nest.

X2.
I've done this with three truck campers and on one TT and three 5th wheel trailers with no cooling or venting issues.
I would add I use the hardware cloth any where birds or mud daubers/wasps can get into.
I make my own closeout for the back of the pin box to eliminate wasp nests and bird nests.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides