cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multimeter Question

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 different multimeters. I have difficulty with all 3 when trying to check voltages on a 50 amp power pedestal. It seems as though the probes are too short. Any suggestions?
22 REPLIES 22

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an old yellow HF meter I bought 15 years ago and the cheap leads fell apart. I bought replacement leads from Radio Shack several years later. I don't stop at FHU CGs often but when I do I have never had a problem checking voltage. I never knew it was a problem until I read this thread.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Thermoguy wrote:
YC 1 wrote:
Have you tried to just pull the shoreline cord out a tiny bit and touch those lugs?

That wouldn't work and would be dangerous if it did...

You might be able to buy longer probes or similar - they are typically universal. There are other plug in meters but not sure if for 50Amp plug. The best bet is as everyone has suggested, get a surge protector.

Actually it does work, but you do need to be careful of course.
I tape my probes almost to the tip so they cannot short on anything nearby.

If the plug is pulled out slightly and still makes contact you can get a loaded circuit test versus an open circuit test. That is, can the post support your load.

Measuring voltages in this range is always hazardous and should be done with the utmost care. Standing in wet grass is not a good idea for example.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Checking voltage under load may be a good plan.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
Kountryguy wrote:
That's too bad !!

found this on amazon but IMO it's not as nice as the one we have.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088D2JVN4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_VP1GG73XS5XZ3E4KGHGD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Fixed your link
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Was unable to get the link to open. Thanks for the effort.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
While I like BB's breakout a lot, I have been in the "camp" with Boon Docker and YC1 for lots of years. Most of my service meters are so old that they have the long probes, but I still like to go at it from the side and bottom to get the pins that matter.

Now, If I could find one of those things like RK911 has, I would get that.

Matt - got a bad hit one time, it still causes problems 50+years later.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Kountryguy wrote:
That's too bad !!

found this on amazon but IMO it's not as nice as the one we have.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088D2JVN4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_VP1GG73XS5XZ3E4KGHGD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1...
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
That's too bad !!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Kountryguy wrote:
I saw this awhile ago, but apparently they are not still available. Will keep checking. Do you have one? If so, where did you get it?

yes, we have one and love it! got it online several years ago. tried to find a link online for you but struck out.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this awhile ago, but apparently they are not still available. Will keep checking. Do you have one? If so, where did you get it?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i had the same issue with my multi-meters and then saw this..

much, much easier.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I made a tester as shown in the link below. Simply plug it is when you arrive at new site to test the pedestal. Quick and easy.

50 amp tester

This thing is great !

It does 2 jobs ! First it convert a standard 50 outlet into 2 120VAC outlets (not protected for 20A) and gives you a quick visual check if things are okay !

I can't find a meter exactly like that, but digital ones are on eBay for <$10.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thermoguy wrote:
YC 1 wrote:
Have you tried to just pull the shoreline cord out a tiny bit and touch those lugs?

That wouldn't work and would be dangerous if it did...

You might be able to buy longer probes or similar - they are typically universal. There are other plug in meters but not sure if for 50Amp plug. The best bet is as everyone has suggested, get a surge protector.

Why would that not work?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
get a kill-a-watt meter.

get a hockey puck adapter.

For 50 amp use a break out box.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.