cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multimeter Question

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 different multimeters. I have difficulty with all 3 when trying to check voltages on a 50 amp power pedestal. It seems as though the probes are too short. Any suggestions?
22 REPLIES 22

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
YC 1 wrote:
Have you tried to just pull the shoreline cord out a tiny bit and touch those lugs?

That wouldn't work and would be dangerous if it did...

You might be able to buy longer probes or similar - they are typically universal. There are other plug in meters but not sure if for 50Amp plug. The best bet is as everyone has suggested, get a surge protector.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Have you tried to just pull the shoreline cord out a tiny bit and touch those lugs?
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The longer the probe, the more dangerous it is. I made a tester as shown in the link below. Simply plug it is when you arrive at new site to test the pedestal. Quick and easy.

50 amp tester

The above is from;

https://www.myrv.us/electric/

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I also have more than one multimeter, but they are all old (kinda like me) and the probes are long enough. I'm not surprised if, as @wa8yxm suggests, newer meters have short probes for the very reason he suggests.

Be that as it may, perhaps getting a suitable plug and wiring up a dedicated testing probe is in order. One that is carefully and properly insulated so you don't kill yourself, obviously. Maybe taking a pair of probe leads, cutting off the probe ends and wiring them into a plug, so that you can connect the meter, plug into the circuit, read voltage, unplug from circuit, and only then unplug the multimeter? How you do it is obviously flexible depending on equipment at hand.

Good luck figuring out what to do. Be safe!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kountryguy wrote:
I have 3 different multimeters. I have difficulty with all 3 when trying to check voltages on a 50 amp power pedestal. It seems as though the probes are too short. Any suggestions?

The probes ARE too short. for a reason.. Far too many folks who are basically clueless get zapped trying to use a meter like that on an outlet.

Get a hard wired Surge guard system like the TRC/Southwire Surge Guard I have (and no longer need) or the Progressive Industries HW-50C or its current replacement.

Plug in and read the remote display (Which I no longer have but you can get one from Camping world for like 50 bucks)

Advantage.. If something happens AFTER you clear it and plug in...
A power "Blink" (off and back on in a few seconds) which has happened to me many times. This is very hard on things like Air Conditioner compressors.. the Surge Guard device held power off for almost 3 minutes... Protecting the compressors.

If something in the park wiring fails AFTER you plug in, also happened to me CLUNK it shut me off. protecting me.

IT's on duty 24x7 and when it clunks it clunks

Option 2.. build what we call a "Break out box"
This has a 50 amp plug and pigtail optionally a 50 amp pass through socket and a set of test jacks. these are plastic "Bolts" with a contact inside them designed so the meter probe fits inside.

But I'd not go to that much trouble.. I Highly recommend the Surge Guard..

Though the one I have is designed to be hard wired so you never forget it.. ... But they make plug in models as well. Get the top end.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
That is what I have been doing, but didn't know if probe extensions were available.

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The electrical connectors in the socket in the power pole are set in far enough to be safe which is far enough to make it difficult to check with a typical probe. There isn't a good, quick way to test it. I usually wiggle my probe around until I get a reading that I think I can believe. It is a pain, but with patience, you can usually get a reading.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog