cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My LEDs

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
FYI: I have been posting updates for those of us who have already read the OP below. For anyone new to the thread, it might be best to skip down below all of these updates, read the body of the post (beginning with "THE OP BEGINS HERE") and THEN read the updates.

***UPDATE***
(03/07/12)
Z71 4x4 has weighed in on these ~$5 ebay panels mentioned below; the 36-1210 panels vs the 24-5050s vs 1141 incandescent bulbs. His conclusions are as follows...

"The 24-5050 looked green to me and my DW. These will end up in my basement storage.
The 36-1210 were very close to the natural 1141 color, maybe a shade more white (which we like), and seemed a little brighter."

Post Here

***UPDATE***
(02/21/12)
When searching for LEDs that are comparable to the incandescent bulbs they are replacing, the rule of thumb that I use is 1:5, i.e. a 3W LED bulb will give you roughly the same lumen output as a 15W incandescent bulb. A panel that focuses all of the light where it belongs should beat this a bit... perhaps more like 1:6 or 1:7. So a 3W panel might get you the same output as a 20W bulb or so... maybe.

Also... if you want incandescent color temperature, i.e. if you want the LEDs to look as close as possible to incandescent bulbs in color... look for units in the 3200-3500K range. 6500K is more like "blue white." I have one that is 4200K. It's not too bad, but it is noticeably "bluer" than my 3200K LEDs and incandescents.

As always...

YMMV

๐Ÿ™‚

***UPDATE***
36 SMD LED Panels now come with BA15S (1141, 1156) male socket ends. Other socket options here. And then there's this version from eric1514. This 24 LED panel with brighter LEDs is probably a little brighter than the 36 LED panel. Both are brighter than an 1141. The 24 may be as bright as an 1156.

***UDPATE***
(9/29/11)
Dave-Sparky has done some thorough testing on these 36 SMD panels with excellent results for 8 months now.
Post Here

(01/21-12)
1 Year for Dave-Sparky so far

***UPDATE***
06/05/12
Though far from the majority... a few are having trouble with the $5 LED panels staying stuck with their sticky back tape. Below is a solution from Kamphiker, though beware that 3M tape may be TOO good and when LED panel replacement time comes... you may have a problem...

Kamphiker wrote:
Those inexpensive LED panel lights from China are a PITA to keep mounted in the ceiling. The South Florida heat just melts the foam/adhesive that came with these lights (I have seen 94ยฐ F. inside the RV with the A/C off ceiling temps are even higher).

I tried adding a dab of silicone with no luck, Tried hot glue gun stick better than silicone but still failure.

I found the solution, 3M VHB Tape. Maximum Temperature 300ยฐ F. excellent adhesion. There are a lot of sources to purchase (Mcmaster, Fastenal etc.). I looked in Grainger and they have some on closeout like 3M VHB High Temperature Tape

When looking at the tape there are several different ones available, standard is good for 200ยฐ F. & High Temp. 300ยฐ F.

THE OP BEGINS HERE...

I created this thread as a canned response to anyone asking about LEDs.

I have done a ton of research on LEDs and sampled several different types. These are what I have in my rig, and I am very happy with all of them. And at present, the prices I paid are tough to beat.

(The following is a bit of stumping on the merits of LEDs for boondocking. If you're already sold on the idea, just skip ahead to "My LED's" above the 1st photo.)

I have found that LEDs generally use about 1/5 the power and heat of incandescent or less, per the same color type and amount of light. For boondockers, LEDs are a no-brainer. I started by replacing one each in my double overhead fixtures and the light is more than adequate for our family... including the DW. All this for a mere hundred clams.

I later added a few more, but I doubt I'm up to $150. I still have 1 incandescent bulb in each of the 3-double overhead fixtures and 1 in each of the 2 bunk bed reading fixtures. The bunk lights never get used and unless we're hooked to shore, we refrain from using both bulbs in each of the overheads; yet this still allows for more light than we need.

The best part about the LEDs is the peace of mind. I no longer care one bit if lights are on because I know they're drawing such a negligible amount of energy: for example the one in the exterior door handle. If I left it on all night for say 10 hours, it would cost me about 3A. This is less than 1/100 of my total battery bank capacity. A typical inverter uses almost twice the power in standby mode!

If every single one of my LED lights are on at one time (rare)... I figure they're using about 3A. My 13" TV alone uses 6! (The TV is on the upgrade list, but that's for another thread.)

Some more perspective...

A typical 1141 RV bulb is rated at about 18W. With comparable light output, 9 of mine are in the 3.6W range and the rest are rated much lower.

Depending on temperature, my battery bank is capable of a solid 170A before it runs down to 50%. I could leave all 13 of these lights on 24 hours for almost 2 and half days before reaching this point.

My LEDs

I have 8 of these total. 3 in my overhead fixtures, 2 in the closet (thanks to RoyB,) one in the shower and one in the exterior door handle fixture. I also have 2 of the ba15d versions in my little bedroom lamp. Some RFI noted by ham radio guys, but I have yet to experience any. This is caused by the built-in regulator that gives these bulbs a wide range of voltage handling. This should allow for very good longevity.

***EDIT***
6/7/11
There appear to be unregulated bulbs of this type on ebay now. They may or may not last as long as regulated. They may run a little warmer and if they are truly unregulated, they shouldn't cause any RFI... for those who have this concern.

About 0.3A each...

LED Wholesalers on ebay

Most recent find 6-7-11

Also, you might Try These. They appear to have the same LEDs, but for about a third the price. I haven't tried them yet, personally, though. But for the price, I would definitely try one. They also have 24 LED units, which I'm guessing would be more like 1156 incandescent bulbs.

As always...

YMMV

One in overhead is the bulb above. The other is an 1141 incandescent. Both are clearly warmer in color than fluorescent...

1 of these in my range hood. Excellent deal! No RFI. Longevity is yet undetermined. (Update) Note that THEY NOW COME in a ba15s (1156-type) base. Color is slightly to the red of incandescent. The bulbs above are closer in color, but not by a huge margin.

Again, I think about 0.3A each...

A Chinese ebay Store

I have 3 of these in my courtesy floor fixtures. Couldn't find warm white and standard, blue white was too bright. My wife and I really like the amber color of these. Reminds us a bit of the movie theater. They're perfect for us and chew up almost zero energy, I believe about 0.1A for all 3!

Ebay search for "BA9S LED Amber"

Here's one next to an incandescent...

And next to a blue-white LED...

And most recently, one of these in the airliner-style, swivel reading fixture over the couch. They also sell them in pairs for a hair less each. This one comes right to the edge of my fixture. It is just the right diameter. You can see the LEDs, but it doesn't bother me. It is not warm white, but is not blue-white either (more photos below.) Retailer was forthright with light color temperature and I found his auction pages to be especially detailed, honest and accurate.

The bulb puts out a very comparable amount of light to the OEM bulb at about 1/10 the power draw... about 0.2A...

Taiwan ebay retailer

OK. Got some photos of the reading light installed. You don't notice it unless you're looking right at it.

And here it is in action. I took the pictures this afternoon. Of course the only time the sun decided to peek through the clouds today was right when I wanted to shoot. But I think it's clear the bulb is plenty bright for the application. Again... I feel it's very similar in brightness to the OEM incandescent bulb. These 2 photos were taken with the same aperture and shutter speeds. Evaluative white balance was also used for each. Also note that the light color is not blue-white...

More and more folks have now ordered these 1139F replacement reading bulbs and the response appears to be overwhelmingly positive. Here's a thread on it.

Command Electronics has been a popular place to get some panels, but they were always too bright for my tastes. Recently they have added a smaller panel that is similar to the one I have above, but does have the ba15s adapter.

These 21 LED panels are on this page along with the brighter 30 LED ones.

Cheers
Cheers,
Kendall
310 REPLIES 310

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a few of these bad boys in my cargo trailer and love them:

921 flat panel, bright white
Bob

RangerEZ
Explorer
Explorer
falconman515 wrote:
Well after I got the 68-1210's they looked "Exactly" like the standard light output of an 1156 bulb.

Ordered 20 more.

68-1210 LED's Qty.10 for $30

They have a Best Offer option ... I offered $30 for 2 lots and they accepted ... got 20 total LED's for $60 shipped.

Or if you just want a couple here is the actual company I bought the current 2 from that I have now ... They are $5 a pop (way more then the other but good if you just need a few) but are great bulbs and ship from the US instead of China (so faster delivery) ......

68-1210 LED's Sold for $5 Each

My other bulbs I ordered (the couple panels and could cob 5050's) are almost here but really those 68-1210 we're so perfect that I said I don't even want to bother with the others (anyone want to buy em? ... I've got a handful of extra LED's now).

Here is what they looked like .....

As I posted earlier, I ordered enough of these to do three trailers. I have completed my parents' and did mine a few days ago. Short version, we are thrilled.

In my hybrid toy hauler, which has a 22 foot living area with three extending tip-out beds, just turning on three dual fixtures (6 lights), there is ample light to see and do most anything. If I turn on more lights, of course it just gets brighter. Interestingly, in my shipment, I got a few random 'white' bulbs intermized with the 'warm white' that I ordered. I put two of these over my dining table for a little brighter light for games and such. Not sure whether I'll leave them or swap in warm whites.

I really like how bright I can get the trailer if I want to and I like knowing there is very little energy draw.

My next task is to find a 120 LED bulb for my porch light and possibly two for the front spotlights and that will about finish up this little project.
GMC 2500 HD Duramax
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited & 2015 Brute Force 300

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
I just got these for my moms's class C... great unit!

1147 bayonett type

and these for my TT in 2012.. work great.. all warm white!

LEd with 921/festoon/Ba9s
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Kendall

I use a variety of ways to correct for WB including setting manually with a white card, expodisc and grayscale. I can do it before or afterwards in the raw editor, still LEDs are not one of the light sources recognized by the cameras two WB sensors or software and getting the bright white LEDs to come out accurately is a pain. In all of my efforts they came out much bluer than in reality. Usually my pro gear has no issues with color reproduction in interior shoots and portraits with or without flash. It's when the AWB sensors have to chose between two light sources with different temps that really confuses it. It will pick one and the other will be completely out of whack.

BTW on the test I started yesterday, I had to switch to the GRP 27 because the 32a AGM hadn't been charged in a while and dropped to 12.1v. The 27 was freshly charged and sitting at 12.8v and holding. All of the emitters are fine and it only gets hot to the touch when you hold it for a while but not enough to make me need to let go.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I'm aware, the Auto White Balance setting on most cameras is simply somewhere shy of full, daytime sun. The camera doesn't actually choose. (At least that's the way it was last time I checked. Perhaps the tech has advanced since then.)

The camera's flash is in this ballpark.

So for example, if you take a photo at night, indoors, with incandescent lighting and no flash... you will notice your white walls looking pinkish orange (salmon?). The flash will generally go a long way to correct the color.

The only way to get accurate color is to use the Manual White Balance setting. You set it to a bright white sheet of paper in the same area as your subject... then shoot.

Still... I would think that if you turn the flash off and use AWB, you should still be able to capture a color difference, though the colors themselves may not be perfectly accurate.

As a side note... all those years you thought you were a great photographer and now you get weird colors with your shiny new digital camera. Must be the camera, right?

Well... the fine folks developing your film were correcting for color all along. And now it's up to YOU to perform that operation. Learn about white balance and you will take better photos.
Cheers,
Kendall

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
From when I did my thread on the LEDs I used, I can tell you taking images of them is hard. Most cameras will try to adjust for illumination giving you the dots, the bulb would be completely blown out otherwise. Color is the other hard thing since the camera has to chose a white balance setting. This is really noticeable when trying to compare LEDs. The camera will pick one as white and the other will be completely off. The 9 LED cobs pictures make them look far bluer than they are.

SDurbak
Explorer
Explorer
SDurbak wrote:
I will take some pictures later on tonight when it gets dark. I'll post those later. I still have 4 or 5 more bulbs coming from China which won't be here yet for awhile, but so far, I'm happy with the 2 in the top pictures.

Well, my pictures didn't really turn out to be very helpful. What I see in the pictures is not what I see in person, so they aren't worth posting. What I have concluded so far is that of the first 2 bulbs in my previous post, the bulb-type seems to put out more of a "glow" as compared to the flat type, which appears to be 16 separate points of light.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered 1 each of 4 different panels from 2011_led. I decided on the 36-1210 warm white ones and ordered enough to convert most of the lighting. And I ordered some 24-1210 panels for the headboard lights (DW thought the 36-1210 panels were too bright.)
The first "dry" campout is 4th of July.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

checca
Explorer
Explorer
I put these in my RV, nice bright white color ... time will tell if they were a good deal or not. Took 28 days to arrive.

used in most of the lights:

10x T10 194 168 921 W5W Bulb Lamp 12 5050 SMD LED White Y | eBay

used in lights above the beds and storage compartments.

10pcs 921 T10 194 W5W Bulb 13 5050 SMD LED Light White T1013 | eBay

Seller Info:
http://myworld.ebay.com/2011_led?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

eBay My World: 2011_led

Views: 8815 total
Items for sale
Visit my store
2013 Lacrosse 318bhs
2010 Toyota Tundra Crew max 5.7 flex fuel
Installed airlift ultimate 5000 air bags and smart lift automatic leveling system.
Minooka, IL.

SDurbak
Explorer
Explorer
I got these two bulbs today

The top one is 24-5050 (360 lumens) and shines 360 degrees, $9.99.
The bottom one is 16-5050 (240 lumens) and shines down, $11.99.

I placed one bulb in each side of a double fixture, and they appear to have nearly the same amount of light output. Compared to my original 921 bulb, they are about the same, possibly slightly more light output, and less yellow than the 921. I wouldn't really call the light "blue", just really more white. The bulb-type one in the top picture has the advantage of 1) being cheaper, and 2) not having to worry about keeping it stuck to the ceiling of the fixture.

I also got some of these from ebay (10 for $12.89)

but they didn't fit into my fixture. I dremeled one down until it fit, then lit it up for comparison. It was much less bright, and very green. I will not be using these.

I will take some pictures later on tonight when it gets dark. I'll post those later. I still have 4 or 5 more bulbs coming from China which won't be here yet for awhile, but so far, I'm happy with the 2 in the top pictures.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
KendallP wrote:
Everyone posting their personal experiences in a civilized manner like this makes for some very good information from which to base one's own decisions.

Thanks!

we all have different needs and budgets. If the high end LEDs were the only option, many of us would have not have done it or bought just a few instead of redoing the whole rig.

As a test I have connected one of my extra panels to a 32 AH AGM. I'll leave it connected for a week or two and switch it to a different battery as the AGM needs recharging. The AGM was at 12.7v at 1:35 pm on Thursday. I'll keep you updated.

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone posting their personal experiences in a civilized manner like this makes for some very good information from which to base one's own decisions.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Kendall

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
JiminDenver wrote:
I ordered 10 of the 48 1210 panels for $17.99 shipped and in test they seem just as bright and a bit warmer in color the the first set I ordered. I paid $3.29 each for the first set.

Hey Jim,
You probably already posted where you bought your newest panels but could you throw a link up so I don't have to look back through the posts to find it? My coffee is weak, this AM.

here is the link to the 10 pack of panels for $17.99 shipped.

clicky

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We run our LEDs around four hours a night with the 9 SMD 1210 LEDs getting the bulk of use. so far there hasn't been a failure of a emitter or the tape that holds the panels up. I have extras so if one fails it will be replaced with another $2 LED. ๐Ÿ™‚