cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neautral wire overheating

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
A while back the neutral wire coming OUT of my EMS-HW30C surge protector was over heating. On 2 separate occasions I cut/cleaned the wire and secured as tight as i could in the terminal. Now the neutral wire is over heating on both the IN and the OUT terminals of the surge protector. Any ideas what could be causing the over heating?

I remember reading a while back that excessive cord length on the trailer can cause problems with the electrical. I added a 75ft cord to the trailers 40ft cord at one time for a total of 115ft. Can the excessive cord length be the cause of the neutral over heating? If not what else causes over heating like this?
19 REPLIES 19

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
KcBorne wrote:
Would that mean the surge protector is causing resistance? Because it is heating on both the IN and OUT lines right at the terminals. No where else.

If that is the case your terminal connections are high resistance. Follow Mex's advice

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
Would that mean the surge protector is causing resistance? Because it is heating on both the IN and OUT lines right at the terminals. No where else.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Diddy-Bop on down the list of threads until you find

ELECTRICAL WIRE FIRE

It's not that far down, you'll find it fast.

Read all the responses

The set screws in the buss bar must NOT be loose as a goose in their threads.

You MUST ream out the aluminum bus bar to get brand new shiny aluminum

The wire strands MUST be brand new shiny copper penny color

You MUST use colloidal copper compound

And re-check a week later. If he screws keep getting loose REPLACE the buss bar.

The set screws must tighten down against a little friction.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Resistance equals heat. So if it is getting that hot you have dangerous issue you need to deal with NOW before you have a fire.