cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a refrigerator guru

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to come here with all my problems but it's hard to find other places to get sensible answers.

I have a Whirlpool side by side installed in the RV. It is only 6 months old. It worked great while I was using the rv and the freezer stayed at 0 degrees or below. It has been in storage recently but always plugged into a 120 volt source. We have had no threatening cold temperatures so I have had no heat on. The ambient temperatures will vary from 35 to 65, I'm estimating. I noticed that ice cream products were not staying hard frozen any longer. The coldest I am registering in the freezer is 10 degrees.

I am wondering if the ambient conditions are forcing the freezer to go into some self protection mode and preventing it from getting to zero. I will probably turn on some electric heat just to see if it helps me answer the question, but I hate to waste the power and risk a malfunctioning heater causing a fire.

Whirlpool Customer Service was no help and if I tell them it's in an RV they will disavow the functionality of the unit under those conditions. I created the scenario (lie) that it is in a weekend cabin, to duplicate the conditions, but you can't really get to a tech at CS. They want me to call a local tech to have a look but I already know they will not do anything when they see it's in a motor home. They have no expertise to remove it for service so that's a blank wall.
8 REPLIES 8

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
One last post to by the OP. I have found that, since the ambient temps in the MH have been held at 60+ the freezer is acting better, staying at zero or less. Residential freezers, apparently don't like ambient temperatures in the 30's.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem with the fridge in my garage, soft ice-cream in the winter. There's nothing wrong with the defrost mode, it works fine 9 months of the year. Residential units are designed to be used in controlled temperature spaces.

I fixed mine by jumpering the door switch in the fridge compartment so the light is on all the time. I replaced the 60W bulb that came in the fridge with a 25W bulb. It adds just enough heat to make the fridge run more, and the freezer section stays colder now.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Today is very mild and the outdoor temp is about 66. The ice cream is solid and all seams well. The little thermometer I have will not register negative it just says "LLL", so I suppose the problem is not a problem, after all.

Thanks, All

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There's nothing wrong with the fridge. With the temperature sensor in the fridge section, it simply cant run enough at those low ambient temps to keep the freezer section frozen.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've gotten good help on Whirlpool products from Appliance Parts Pro's. They have a help forum. Might just work for you.

Adding to what Doug said, watch for the Door Switch(es)!. At least on some fridges, if it doesn't get the signals that they're fully shut, part(s) of the system won't work.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
When a side by side has FREEZER problems, it usually is the Defrost mode has failed. Either the Defrost heaters are bad or the Defrost timer is bad. What happens is simple, the freezer evap coils get a cake of ice(because it does not defrost). Ice is a insulator. Since air cannot flow thru the evap fins, the freezer and USUALLY the refer has inadequate cooling. As to the comment about service. YES, this is a drawback to residential refers in RV's. The Residential Service people will NOT remove the refer for service. They WILL work on them if all work will be done from the inside(Like defroster heaters and timers). But, until they come out, you will not know the cause of the problem. Then you have to figure out how to pull the refer if you cannot do it yourself. Doug

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Your household refrigerator will not perform well when the temperature it is exposed to is too hot or too cold. I bet what you are experiencing will go away when you turn the heat on and het up the RV to 65+.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure if this is pertinent to your situation, but we have a fridge/freezer in our non-insulated garage where I have noted subpar performance particularly from freezer section when temps are frigid. Contents are still very cold but not as rock hard as when ambient temps are above freezing. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.