cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some electrical education

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Finally managed to get a site with only 50 amp service in my 30 amp fiver. Fortunately, I had purchased a 50 to 30 dogbone a couple of years ago for just this situation, so I was pretty pleased with myself. That is, until after I disconnected the following morning, and had nothing 12v. Everything worked fine on shore power. Found the 30 amp fuse at the battery fried, replaced it, and all is good to go. So...I thought the dogbone only allowed 30 amps, so why the fried fuse? Do I need to do something else? Is there some other problem? Thanks for helping me figure this out!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
brirene wrote:
I thought the dogbone only allowed 30 amps, so why the fried fuse? Do I need to do something else?

Yes, You need to study the RV electrical SYSTEMS (Note the use of the plural)

There are, at the minimum, two different electrical systems in your RV, one is 12 volt, one is 120 volt. They have one (or two) common points.. The Converter or "inverter/converter" option and possibly a control computer.

The 30 amp dogbone is for the 120volt system, this system includes the Microwave, Air Conditioners, electric side of fridge and water heater, Televisions and other entainerment electronics (with one or two exceptions) and outlets scattered about.

The 12 volt system is batteries, lights, water pump, furnace, control power for selected devices listed last paragraph (A/C, Firdge, and Water heater) and if you have an energery manager that can shed loads. control power for it.. Also possibly a radio.

There are two possible things that happend to your 30 amp fuse.

ONE: An intermittent short, likely popped the fuse.

TWO: And this applies big time if you have upgraded batteries and converter as many have... The batteries were down so far (State of charge that when you plugged in they sucked 30+ amps (*Mine can hit 100+) and popped the fuse.

Recommendations: Post battery bank specifications (Size and number) Converter make and model so we can advise if TWO is possible.

Recommendation 2: Carry a spare fuse just in case, But if the new fuse does not blow then it might have been issue 3 that blew it.

Issue 3: Sometimes, for no good reason, a Fuse just goes bad.. I have seen it many times in my 60+ years on this earth.. I actually DO know the reasons for it happening,, but Well they are not GOOD (Fixable/fault) reasons, its just the nature of the fuse.. Blade type fuses are LESS prone to this.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Coach battery switch/disconnect? Ours is in the step well. Someone is frequently switching it or the chassis battery off by accident. Poor design but common.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I always ( when available) use the 50 amp outlet with the adapter. the only way my cord would melt would be that the 30 amp breaker would be bad. And a short would blow faster than you can blink your eyes. Probably never in a lifetime is that going to happen. The 50 amp outlets are hardly ever burnt like the 30 amp one that almost always are. No bearing between the 12 volt and the 120 volt.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Your battery fuse is is on the DC system - your shore power is on the AC system. I suppose it's possible your converter went bonkers - worth a look - but often as not fuses sometimes blow and you never know why - if the replacement fuse blows then you need to check out the DC system.
Kevin

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the dogbone only allowed 30 amps,
The dogbone only changes the incoming power by dropping one side of the 50A hookup. It does nothing to limit it to 30A. If your rig is pulling over 30A, the park power pole with continue to feed it until the breaker on it trips at >50A.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
The dog bone only uses one leg of the 50 amp service, and allows the full 50 amp to flow through to your 30 amp cord. The main breaker in your coach is the device that will limit the power to your coach. The dog bone has nothing to limit the amount of load that is placed on it. If the load is there you can actually melt your 30 amp cord before the 50 amp breaker in the pedestal trips.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Just a coincidence. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
brirene wrote:
Found the 30 amp fuse at the battery fried, replaced it, and all is good to go. So...I thought the dogbone only allowed 30 amps,
30a battery fuse has nothing to do with 30a electrical service.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
There is probably another problem. Such as you might have a battery that did not get water added to it on a regular basis, and now is shorted out. Or another reason that the charger put out more than 30 amps when you plugged into the shore power.

Chances are that you might have a 45 - 55 amp capable 12 volt charger/converter in the RV - near the fuse panel. It can put out amperage that will run the lights, and also charge the battery. If the charger is putting out say 14.1 volts, and the battery is only at 11.5 or less, then the charge circuit might carry more than 30 amps, melting the fuse.

Two things to check. Measure the voltage at your battery. If it is less than 11.5 volts, then you might have a problem with the battery. But don't replace it just yet. First check to see if it needs water. Only add distilled water.

I would also suggest replacing the 30 amp fuse with a automatic reset circuit breaker. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Circuit-Breaker-30-Amp-Threaded-Stud/_/R-BK... You can find that at any local auto parts store.

A automatic reset circuit breaker will shut off power if it exceeds 30 amps for about 3-5 minutes, then will cool off (so will the wire) and then will re-set and allow 30 amps to flow again. After a while, the battery will have enough charge, then the charge rate slows to less than 29 amps, and will stay charging.

If you have a portable battery charger, I would charge the battery with it for a while, then plug in the shore power, and check the 30 amp fuse. It probably is bad again - if you plugged in the RV now, while the battery was dead. Yet after the battery has charged for a while, then it should be accepting less than 30 amps from the RV charger, and then the fuse should not blow again.

So first thing is add water to the battery.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com