cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some updated info on A/C

eddd
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been active on the forums for a while, but used to spend lots of time on the truck camper forum back in the day. When I had my Lance truck camper I replaced the 13,500 btu a/c unit with with 8,000 Coleman Polar Cub. It was a perfect match for my Honda EU2000i.

I no longer have an RV, but when I had a toy hauler I recall looking for the 8,000 btu Coleman but finding it was no longer available. A couple of friends who are new to RVing are running into the problem of powering their large A/C units at elevation with their generators.

So my question for the collective brain power and experience found on this forum is what is the current best setup a roof top A/C that can run on the smaller/lighter/quieter generators? What else should be included in the package...like maybe a hard start capacitor?

I've been doing some searching, but I'm only getting bits and pieces of information whereas I know some of you have already addressed this situation and can provide information on a total package that works best.

Thanks in advance.
2002 KZ Sportsman Toyhauler
3 REPLIES 3

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally they use two 2,000 Watt "I" (inverter) generators with a Parallel kit, that gives a total of just about 30 amps (yes I know the math does not track but they generators LIE they are not 2,000 watts)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off there is no 'best' setup. You're going to get a lot of different replies, and with any luck it won't turn into a shouting match. I recommend a couple Honda 2k generators in parallel. You shouldn't have to have a hard start cap.

I can provide you with at least a dozen links on generators, but it's an overwhelming amount of information. Just say the word.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It may require a bigger generator. You could, in theory, upgrade the air conditioner with a microair easy start. https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267

Then the 2k generator may (might) start the 13500 AC unit. The altitude may mean a larger capacity generator would be needful. My choice would be the 3400 watt Champion inverter with built in remote electric start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.