cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New bathroom sink replacement bead sealer

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
I am replaceing my bathroom sink and it has a white gooey paste like bead around it making it difficult to pull off. I have it all cleaned up and the new sink ready to go in. What's the bead? Does look like a very soft version of plumbers putty. Can't used Dicor or anything that will dry hard.
15 REPLIES 15

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SFVdave wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why do people think everything is Silicone??? Silicone is not a great adhesive.

DAP Easy-to-use acrylic latex that bonds like a glue and seals like a caulk. It tools easily and provides a durable, mildew resistant, watertight seal with excellent adhesion and flexibility.

They make the same in white.

Thanks, I think this is a better choice than the butyl tape.

EXACTLY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
100% pure silicone is an excellent adhesive and is used extensively in aircraft assemblies and electronics to adhere and "rugadise" parts so they stay in place in high vibration applications - especially helicopters.
I used silicone to bond the porcelain sink in our last TT and it held firm for 13 years till we sold it.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
From Kohler sink manual..

HERE

Click For Full-Size Image.

Take note of the red circle at the top of the installation manual I added..

It reads SILICONE!

If Silicon is good enough for Kohler, it is good enough for myself.

I was very skeptical about it, but in this case, it really does work, just make sure it is BATH AND KITCHEN rated.. The Bath and Kitchen versions have antimold/mildew protection.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

DAP Easy-to-use acrylic latex that bonds like a glue and seals like a caulk. It tools easily and provides a durable, mildew resistant, watertight seal with excellent adhesion and flexibility.

Thanks, I think this is a better choice than the butyl tape.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Point taken, however, the tube that was included by the sink manufacturer with the new sink I bought was labeled as SILICONE adhesive/sealer. It also felt like silicone, Acrylic/latex caulks have a complete different feel and clean up easier than the caulk the manufacturer included.

While I generally agree that silicon caulks make for terrible general purpose sealants, in my case obviously the manufacturer of said sink must have thought it was a good enough to include a tube of SILICONE adhesive/sealant for mounting my sink.. If the manufacturer thought it was good enough, who am I to question their wisdom..

So far, it appears the manufacturer of my sink was correct as that sink hasn't moved one bit and it hasn't leaked ever..

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
I use DAP brand white silicone kitchen and bath adhesive sealant from Home Depot for similar projects at home and would use same in the RV.

^^^THIS^^^

Have a china bathroom sink in my sticks and bricks, came with tube of Kitchen/bath adhesive/sealant from the manufacturer of said sink. Fixture does not have clamps or screws to hold it down, relies solely on the adhesive/sealant to hold it in place and seal the perimeter.. Installed it better than 30 yrs ago, hasn't leaked or moved..

Much better option than using butyl rubber caulking/tape..

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
time2roll wrote:
I use DAP brand white silicone kitchen and bath adhesive sealant from Home Depot for similar projects at home and would use same in the RV.

Agreed, it's still a sink regardless if it's in an RV.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
First you need to tell us what type of sink. Stainless that has clips to draw it down tight or self rimming that just sets in place?????

It's a JR plastic small bathroom sink. Has 4 plastic clips that screw into vanity top. Question, Out here in Southern California the temperature is in high 90's. Do you think leaving the butyl tape in the sun will make it softer and more sticky and help molding into shape? I want the tape made into a roll.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
First you need to tell us what type of sink. Stainless that has clips to draw it down tight or self rimming that just sets in place?????

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
SFVdave wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
RV manufacturers often use the same butyl putty tape to install sinks that they use to install doors, windows, vents, etc.

LLPT Butyl Seal Putty Tape White 1 Inch

Thanks, I have a roll on hand.

That's good then. If you've used the putty before, then you're probably aware that i may squeeze out for a time, calling for retightening until it settles down. That's the same as using plumbers putty. Over the years I've used the two pretty much interchangeably depending on which I had on hand when needed.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
RV manufacturers often use the same butyl putty tape to install sinks that they use to install doors, windows, vents, etc.

Thanks, I have a roll on hand.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate