cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new batteries

jlscjs
Explorer
Explorer
In a nut shell who has the best rv battery on the market? I need to replace mine but not wanting to spend a fortune on gel batteries.
Retired and lovin it!!
2001 Coachman Royal 279SA 5ver
20 REPLIES 20

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm .... maybe Rolls's website needs some fine tuning to keep their AGMs and wets easier to get at!?

Boy .... you gotta love those 5 year warranties.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Phil;

It looks like the http://rollsbattery.com/public/specsheets/12FS125.pdf is a wet. In addition to the caps in the illustration, the specs also say that there is 1.5" of electrolyte reserve above the plates. The only way this reserve can be above the plates is in an upright-only orientation. This reserve is the clincher because AGMs can be placed on a side or end and they are spillproof. The battery is listed under MOTIVE POWER.

Here is how I find the AGMs.
Click http://rollsbattery.com/,
hover mouse over PRODUCTS,
click AGM,
click 12 VOLT,
click 12Volt (Sealed 6 cell),
select an AGM battery.

HTH;
John

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe just a generic photo shown in the AGM battery's data sheet?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Note down into the specification itself the reference to glass mat construction ... which means AGM.
Of course, but why the fill caps?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Something odd here. Your link shows fill caps on the top. Another link to the same battery does not. Hm...

I had to go through their "AGM" link from the home page to get to that .pdf battery specification. Note down into the specification itself the reference to glass mat construction ... which means AGM.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
KendallP wrote:

Thank God! Someone who didn't oversell AGMs with falsehoods about fast charging and such.

Yes. AGMs can't be beat for low maintenance... so long as you never do successive 50-90% charges and such. If you discharge and completely top off each time, no problemo. In that way, they are perfect for shore campers with dough.

Otherwise... a 100% shore camper can do great with a single group 27. With a decent converter, they will lose so little water over time. Yes, you should check them regularly, but you will likely not need to add any water, but maybe once a year... if you're obsessive.

The OP sounded like money was an object.

Yeah, I do like my AGM batteries because knowing me, the one thing that I'd forget to do is check the water. My two are both Group 34 plus I have a solar panel 160 watts which is set to charge AGM's, so I'm all set!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
KendallP wrote:
AGMs are up there too and not necessary

They are if you don't want to do maintenance!

WoodGlue

Thank God! Someone who didn't oversell AGMs with falsehoods about fast charging and such.

Yes. AGMs can't be beat for low maintenance... so long as you never do successive 50-90% charges and the like. If you discharge and completely top off each time, no problemo. In that way, they are perfect for shore campers with dough.

Otherwise... a 100% shore camper can do great with a single group 27. With a decent converter, they will lose so little water over time. Yes, you should check them regularly, but you will likely not need to add any water, but maybe once a year... if you're obsessive.

The OP sounded like money was an object.
Cheers,
Kendall

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Here's, in my opinion, the best AGM RV battery available:
http://rollsbattery.com/public/specsheets/12FS125.pdf

Something odd here. Your link shows fill caps on the top. Another link to the same battery does not. Hm...
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry (the OP),

Your post kindof hinted at two competing goals.

The best RV battery and not wanting to spend a fortune on a battery of course don't usually come together in the same product.

Here's, in my opinion, the best RV battery available:

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/index.php

Here's, in my opinion, the best AGM RV battery available:

http://rollsbattery.com/public/specsheets/12FS125.pdf

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
KendallP wrote:
AGMs are up there too and not necessary

They are if you don't want to do maintenance!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi jlscjs,

The "best" battery for you is dependent on your camping style.

The nee plus utra is 6 two volt cells in series. They are also the cheapest, as with reasonable care they can last 20 years. However, most folks would not keep an RV that long--and it would cost a bit to modify the dinky battery box to accept them. You will have sticker shock at the initial price.

If a heavy duty inverter (1500 watts and up) is going to be used for more than 4 or 5 minutes, then 3 group 31 12 volt jars may offer the best service. The batteries do need to be wired in a balanced manner.

If you never boondock, any 12 volt trolling battery will fill the bill.

If you boondock lots, then maximize the number of amp-hours of storage and use what ever voltage allows that to happen given the physical space and weight capacity of the battery compartment.

jlscjs wrote:
In a nut shell who has the best rv battery on the market? I need to replace mine but not wanting to spend a fortune on gel batteries.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
Well, MEX is correct, but since you clearly stated you didn't want to spend a fortune, that makes those out too.

SMK is also correct. Best value is a pair of Costco/Sam's GC2s.

If you never boondock, then one 27 is enough and a guy just got a steal on Costco Group 27 12 volters.

AGMs are up there too and not necessary.
Cheers,
Kendall

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Best what? Price, capacity, life span, ease of maintenance, availability?
You don't want gell.
I have installed hundreds of deep cycle batteries over the years in off grid and back-up power applications. The vast majority are Deka. They have given me great service. There are just a few actual battery manufacturers. Everyone else just relabels batteries from these few companies.
Deka, Trojan, and Lifeline would be my top choices.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Costco / Sam's club for best value.

Or what "best" is important?