cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New converter for my 1988 Prowler

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
The converter in my 15 foot Prowler is a Magnetek tu-730-2.
It is noisy (constant humming) and takes forever to charge my single 12v battery.
I am considering an upgrade and was looking at the Progressive Dynamics 9100 or 9200 series.
I like the multi stage charging and they are much quieter unit from what I have heard.
I also see that I could upgrade my 30 amp unit and the 40 or 45 amp units are only a few dollars more.

Just looking for advise and suggestions or any other converters I should look at.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Your Magnetek 30 Amp converter will only charge at whatever current the battery will accept at a charge voltage of 13.? volts, probably only about 5 amps. The PD will have a charging voltage of 14.4 volts and will charge at a much higher current, depending on your battery. Your converter to battery wire may be too small for the charging current from the new PD converter.

Depending on the length of the wire and the number of batteries you have, you might be better off replacing the existing converter to battery wire with a larger gauge wire, say #4. The larger wire will also result in a faster charging rate since more of the 14.4v will be reaching the battery, less resistance in the wire.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! I was looking at either a 9140 or 9245. The wiring going to the battery will be replaced as it has been cut and spliced in a couple spots, so I would feel better with a new larger gauge wire.

I'm glad my initial thoughts with the PD unit seem to be in the ball park.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
x3 or whatever on the PD 9245 (or whatever model you choose). Before buying anything much larger than the 45A version, check what gauge wire you have (if you aren't intending to rewire at the same time) and what sort of fuse or circuit breaker protection you have at the other end. It's none too useful to get an 80A converter if the charge current is going through an 8 gauge wire with a 40A self-resetting circuit breaker.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
A PD 9245 can be powered with a 1000 watt generator.
Anything bigger needs a 1500 to 2000 watt.
The PD 9100 series needs the remote charge wizard to make it a 3-4 stage
The 9200 series has the internal charge wizard, but still needs the remote pendant to give you manual control over the 3 stages.
And don't get suckered into a Wfco converter that Camping World is selling on ebay !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest one of these PD-9200
Call Randy at Best converter for the best information.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Dynamics with Charge Wizard.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.