cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Noisy Fireplace

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Greystone fireplace in my RV that has developed some fan noise. Can't tell if its a simple sheet metal rattle or a bad bearing. Anyone out there that has experience with these things?
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed
9 REPLIES 9

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
I chuckle at that term 'Fireplace' ain't no fire in there, just a toaster and fan.

Me too. Stupid things. A fan & a Christmas tree bulb backlighting a screen. Had one in our first trailer. Cheaply made thing. Rattling bits. Takes some doing to find the cause & wedge a piece of plastic or cardboard in the offending part.

Current trailer does not have one, just the useful heating part. Space where silly light & screen goes serves much better for storage.

Not to mention they put out less heat than you would be led to believe by looking at the wattage rating. Just more bling to impress idiots on the dealer lots. Not unlike home theatre systems with $6 speakers and a $10 subwoofer, or a black tank flush fitting where the supposed "spray" is directed against the natural flow of the tank lol.

Furrion makes those fireplaces along with Greystone. Now those are two state of the art brands right there. Good thing they don't manufacturer instrumentation for commercial jets lol. Cheap chinese bling.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
I chuckle at that term 'Fireplace' ain't no fire in there, just a toaster and fan.

Me too. Stupid things. A fan & a Christmas tree bulb backlighting a screen. Had one in our first trailer. Cheaply made thing. Rattling bits. Takes some doing to find the cause & wedge a piece of plastic or cardboard in the offending part.

Current trailer does not have one, just the useful heating part. Space where silly light & screen goes serves much better for storage.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Did the same with my Furrion fireplace. Had a squeak every so often. Pulled it out///assed some dielectric grease to and no more noise.
cpaulsen

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks hohenwald48, just the kind of info I was looking for. Will give that a try.
2014 Cougar 313RLI

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem. Opened the unit and the shaft with the mirrors that make the fake flame is about 1/8" diameter and just turns in a hole punched in a piece of sheet metal. Added a little silicone grease and so far so good.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah it isn't much of a fireplace but I do like it better than the old $20 electric heater I used to set out in the middle of the floor. Kind of like the hand held remote too for heat level and fan speed so I don't have to get up and walk all the way over to the other side of the room.
2014 Cougar 313RLI

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
.......led's and a chip memory

crackle crackle

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Touch the sheet metal then start the fan. It would take a bad fan to make the sheet metal vibrate. Remember though dirty fan blades make noise if imbalance is the cause.