cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok to run shore power without battery?

144Grayling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2007 Komfort trailer with a WFCO ultra distribution panel model WF8955an with a 3 stage converter. Lately the fan in the panel has started running for hours at a time. I checked the battery and it is boiling HOT. We don’t travel, the trailer is plugged into shore power 100% of the time. Is there any problem with removing the battery and just having the 12v lights and bath fan run off the converter?
49 REPLIES 49

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like a bad battery to me. out of water?
al

valhalla360
Traveler
Traveler
Obviously, something is wrong with the battery charger...so best not to use it at all until it can be repaired or replaced.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I added a battery disconnect and use that for winter storage but left the TT plugged into shore power so I can still use the lights and radio. Just yesterday I plugged in a portable electric heater and took a nap in there. Need the light’s because I put reflectix in all the windows, retains the heat a little better and makes it much darker in there. My batteries are LiFePO4 so no float voltage isn’t a big deal.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I'd check the voltage the converter is producing, particularly if you are going to run it without a battery. I know of at least one case where a WFCO converter failed & produced 21V, destroying a pair of AGM batteries. High voltage can damage your lighting & 12V appliances...