cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan 3.6 won't crank

guy48065
Explorer
Explorer
A friend asked me to help troubleshoot his RV generator.
It will not crank using the onboard start switch or the remote on the switch panel.
Using a meter I verified there is solid battery voltage at the starter solenoid. There is one small white wire on that lug that I assume powers the control & start circuits.
Using a meter I determined which terminal on the solenoid needs switched 12v and I jumped it and the genny cranked.

Anyone have a wiring diagram of the control circuit?
I'm hoping there's a fuse or an interlock somewhere I haven't discovered.
05 Durango Hemi
2010 Neo all-aluminum 7x20 CH
16 REPLIES 16

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
On the wiring diagram it has the jack pin out where you could see if you have 12 volts at the control board. It is kind of strange, no fuse, you might need the control board. If it was mine I'd be inclined when all figured out to add a fuse.

guy48065
Explorer
Explorer
The Install Manual there for Spec "R" does include a wiring diagram and it does have one difference compared to all the other earlier-Spec manuals I've downloaded: IT DOESN'T SHOW ANY FUSES.

Really I can't recall the last time I saw a product that connects DIRECTLY to a vehicle battery that didn't have a fuse internal or in-line for component and fire protection.
Very strange. Very stupid, IMO.
05 Durango Hemi

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
This url will take you to a page for your unit, there is a download section where manuals are, in the operator manual section 4 page 21 there appears to only be an AC breaker. This manual does not have a wiring diagram unfortunately. I did find another manual with a wiring diagram, it showed 12 volts going directly to control board, I'll find it again and post link however while it's for a 3.6 not exactly the same model.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi4x9r9oKT6AhVIhIkEHY01CR8QFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.coloradostandby.com%2Fcummins-onan-3-6-ky-fa-26120-rv-or-commercial-generator-set-rv-qg-3600-lp&usg=AOvVaw2EMtr_TesUTaxXFTnvSi-u

guy48065
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here's the label:

05 Durango Hemi

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
There is more than one type 3.6, the full model number would help.

guy48065
Explorer
Explorer
Spec: R
SN: B170148513
05 Durango Hemi

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
need to know "spec" letter, and serial no. of gen to know which control system you have. In any case, oil level has NO EFFECT on starter and cranking operation. Older spec units did have low oil level cut out switch, but did not prevent starter operation. And...these units dont hold much oil (imho) and should be run at full crankcase level for maximum engine protection. Lots of useful info on internet,,,lots of B.S. too

guy48065
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably a stretch but the last thing my friend did before having this problem was change the oil. There are YouTubes that claim filling the oil up to the 'FULL' mark on the stick can cause the genny to mysteriously shut off after a few minutes. I'm wondering if 'too full' could also prevent cranking?
I'm doubting this is my problem since the start switch has no light at all & I assume an oil level interlock would let the switch light up & allow cranking.
05 Durango Hemi

guy48065
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions.
I still want to check the simplest things first. The fuse that's shown on the wiring diagram. That I can't find on the unit.
05 Durango Hemi

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
bear in mind that Onan start/stop control switches are switching grounds, not batt voltage. Sounds like your start solenoid and starter are ok since it cranks when you jump 12v to solenoid start solenoid. Since neither switch will activate starter, I would suspect bad control board or ground circuit to control board. Also, disconnect remote panel wire harness, and try it at generator control. If it cranks now, you have a shorted harness on stop circuit, as the stop circuit overrides start circuit.

guy48065
Explorer
Explorer
You need power to flash an error code.

I guess there's nobody else active here with an Onan 3.6 that chime in about where the fuse is hidden.
05 Durango Hemi

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
On the the Onan there should be a small plate with the model number and serial number that's the info you need to search the internet accurately, the manuals are online. The 3.6 should flash out an error code on the stop start switch led

guy48065
Explorer
Explorer
A link or something would be great.

I took apart the panel but there's no fuse on or in it.
Could it be some rinky-dink inline fuse tucked out of sight?
05 Durango Hemi

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the info I found on the internet for Onan 3.6 is the model your friend has shows in a pic location of fuse, sort of on the right bottom corner side. My 4000 has it on the front of the control panel.