Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 4000 carb pics

xjruss
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have an Onan Microquiet 4000, spec K, in my Toy Hauler. I'm working through the typical gummed up carb issue, but failed to make note of the orientation of the choke/throttle levers and linkage rods.

Would someone be so kind as to post a pic or two of their carb, so I can see how this thing should look when assembled correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Russ
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 4x4
2007 Weekend Warrior SL3005 - Billet Edition
'06 YZ450F, '02 YZ426F, '04 KTM 125SX, '01 YZ125
10 REPLIES 10

rajdude
Explorer
Explorer
I dunked the carb in that carb cleaner can which is sold at auto parts stores.

It was running fine last year. Now, it is dead.

j-d wrote:
How did you clean this carb?
How's it running now?

I got a tip on this site about getting the carb out from between the air filter housing and the manifold elbow:
Stick a screwdriver into the filter element bracket and spring the plastic housing and foam gasket away from the carb.
I backed out one of the screws that hold the housing in place and loosened another. Took a couple tries to get the screwdriver that pried best, but the carb came out and went back SO easily. Didn't take much, just enough to clear the choke plate. The way the carb's laid out, the choke and throttle won't both close. One sticks out making it hard to slip out and back in.
-Raj
rajdude.com
'02 Fleetwood Terra 26Y MH

rajdude
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, it is that time again. Time the carb needs to be cleaned AGAIN!
That sucks. I put Stabil in the gas, allowed the genny to run out of gas, it still wont start. AND...the starter motor's plastic gear/pinion is ripped AGAIN! I will start a thread about it.
-Raj
rajdude.com

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
How did you clean this carb?
How's it running now?

I got a tip on this site about getting the carb out from between the air filter housing and the manifold elbow:
Stick a screwdriver into the filter element bracket and spring the plastic housing and foam gasket away from the carb.
I backed out one of the screws that hold the housing in place and loosened another. Took a couple tries to get the screwdriver that pried best, but the carb came out and went back SO easily. Didn't take much, just enough to clear the choke plate. The way the carb's laid out, the choke and throttle won't both close. One sticks out making it hard to slip out and back in.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rajdude
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to the pics in this thread and other stuff....today....I finally was able to get the genset started!

The problem was that I did not put the carb together properly after cleaning it out. There is a flat metal washer which goes INSIDE the float bowl...between the solenoid and the float bowl....on the inside which I left out......it is not the copper washer which goes outside the bowl. Hence it was running way too rich...spewing white smoke.

Moment I put the carb together properly....it started right up.

Lesson learnt.......take pictures when disassembling complicated stuff like carbs.
-Raj
rajdude.com

Don_s_Lock
Explorer
Explorer
try to buy a manuel.
I replaced my carb with newone I bought,found out in the manuel
that I had to adjust the Gov arm and spring etc.
It had to be a certain way .
Don. mine is Marquis gold 7000 onan
Ps bought all these parts it wouldn't start, soon as got the parts delivered the darn thing started and ran and produced hydro, GO figure
2016 Ford Focus
2013 Georgetown 335

Don_s_Lock
Explorer
Explorer
try to buy a manuel.
I replaced my card with newone I bought,found out in the manuel
that I had to adjust the Gov arm and spring etc.
It had to be a certain way .
Don. mine is Marquis gold 7000 onan
Ps bought all these parts it wouldn't start, soon as got the parts delivered the darn thing started and ran and produced hydro, GO figure
2016 Ford Focus
2013 Georgetown 335

rajdude
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I did the same mistake as the OP... took out the carb for cleaning and did not note how the linkages are connected.

Your pictures helps big time!

Shows me that I must have connected the throttle lever backwards. Seems like it the linkage is supposed to be connected towards the outside of the genset. Mine is on the inside. Of course it won't start!
-Raj
rajdude.com

xjruss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks CloudDriver! Exactly what I needed. Good idea with the mirror too.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 4x4
2007 Weekend Warrior SL3005 - Billet Edition
'06 YZ450F, '02 YZ426F, '04 KTM 125SX, '01 YZ125

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Here are pictures I took a couple of years ago. May or may not help.

Mirror above carb shows top views of linkage connections

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
xjruss wrote:
Hello,

I have an Onan Microquiet 4000, spec K, in my Toy Hauler. I'm working through the typical gummed up carb issue, but failed to make note of the orientation of the choke/throttle levers and linkage rods.

Would someone be so kind as to post a pic or two of their carb, so I can see how this thing should look when assembled correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Russ

Don't have pictures, but this site SmokStak has Service manuals (for free) to download. Hope it helps
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK