cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan diesel generator quits after a few minuthes

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I browse this forum fairly often, but now I need some advice or expertise on what is wrong with my generator.

It is a 6500 watt Onan. It starts up fairly quickly and generates power within a couple of minutes of running time, but it shuts down after about 5 minutes of run time with or without any load on it. It will restart after about a minute, but runs rough as it starts and then smooths out after about 5 seconds.
It will then run for about 5 minutes before shutting down again. I suspect that it is not getting enough fuel, although it was serviced with oil change, new fuel and air filter about 6 months ago. All suggestions are welcome.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata
15 REPLIES 15

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did find the fuel filter on the frame rail and it looks clean on the outside so I don't know if it was changed or not. I will probably replace it tomorrow as that would be an easy fix if it is the problem.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
In those years, Tiffin added a second in line fuel filter that most would miss on maintenance. Follow the fuel line up and you should find it near the coach frame. You can remove it as it is not needed or find a replacement.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
hotjag1 wrote:
Wow, I always thought I had a 6500w generator. Wolfe 10 was right. It is a 7500w gen. Model #5HDKAJ 11451H. s/n B030472922

I pushed on the top of the rocker switch which I always thought was for the glow plugs. If it is a primer switch, I didn't hear anything from the fuel pump when it was pushed. I am in 75 degree temps if that makes a difference.

The last time I got it to run, it ran for 3 minutes and 20 seconds. It is more difficult to start each time.

I have over a half tank of fuel according to the gauge which has always been accurate.

Hope I answered most questions.

Sorry I can’t help. If it didn’t shut down at the exact 5 minute point it’s not what I thought. (Faulty temperature sensor). Hope you find the problem.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, I always thought I had a 6500w generator. Wolfe 10 was right. It is a 7500w gen. Model #5HDKAJ 11451H. s/n B030472922

I pushed on the top of the rocker switch which I always thought was for the glow plugs. If it is a primer switch, I didn't hear anything from the fuel pump when it was pushed. I am in 75 degree temps if that makes a difference.

The last time I got it to run, it ran for 3 minutes and 20 seconds. It is more difficult to start each time.

I have over a half tank of fuel according to the gauge which has always been accurate.

Hope I answered most questions.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ONAN gen tech for 25 yrs here. PLEASE post full model/spec/ser no of gen so we know what we are working on ?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with an Onan diesel 6.5KW. 7.5KW, sure.

When this happens, before restarting, go out next to the generator and LISTEN while someone else pushes the prime button (if you have one). You are listening to the fuel pump. If it starts out at higher speed (AIR) and then slows down (pumping fuel) check the fuel system for a leak allowing air into the system. Could be low fuel level in the tank, a crack in the hose, a leak at the fuel filter.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
How sure are you that the shop actually changed the fuel filter? Maybe just billed you for it and "forget" to actually do it?
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
hotjag1 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I will start looking for a fuel restriction somewhere in the line tomorrow.

The code light flashes 3 times. The label beside it says "needs servicing". No kidding...lol

I will check the run time tomorrow after I get out of the dentist.
The microwave and or coffee machine work fine while the generator is running, so I don't think there is a voltage issue.

Yep. Good luck at the dentist. But time the run time to failure to the second.

Cheers.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Read the manual and get the second code which will help. :@

The microwave and or coffee machine work fine while the generator is running, so I don't think there is a voltage issue.
These appliances may have a wide tolerance of voltage variation. What is the AC voltage? :h
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies. I will start looking for a fuel restriction somewhere in the line tomorrow.

The code light flashes 3 times. The label beside it says "needs servicing". No kidding...lol

I will check the run time tomorrow after I get out of the dentist.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Gas or diesel?

It says Onan Diesel Generator in the title of the post.

Ugh. Doh. My apologies.

So this is what I want you to do. Get your iPhone out and start your stop watch as soon as it starts. Then see if it quits at exactly 5 minutes. If so, I think I know what it is.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Gas or diesel?

It says Onan Diesel Generator in the title of the post.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does it throw a code - flashing lights? It could be frequency or AC voltage problem. Model?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
hotjag1 wrote:
I browse this forum fairly often, but now I need some advice or expertise on what is wrong with my generator.

It is a 6500 watt Onan. It starts up fairly quickly and generates power within a couple of minutes of running time, but it shuts down after about 5 minutes of run time with or without any load on it. It will restart after about a minute, but runs rough as it starts and then smooths out after about 5 seconds.
It will then run for about 5 minutes before shutting down again. I suspect that it is not getting enough fuel, although it was serviced with oil change, new fuel and air filter about 6 months ago. All suggestions are welcome.

Gas or diesel?