cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan diesel generator won't crank, it only clicks

dredust
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Onan quiet Diesel 6000 that won't start. The coach batteries are charged with a 12.8 volts. When I crank the genny, the red starter switch continuously blinks red. The voltage drops to 11.8 while cranking. The only thing that happens is- a continuous clicking. Which I believe is the fuel pump. I've checked the 3 fused under the access panel. Any thoughts? I can't figure this one out. Thank you for your help!!!
9 REPLIES 9

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
if it takes that long to start, while cranking, you may have a bad glow plug. thats the way mine worked. it wouldnt start without cranking 30 to 50 seconds, after the prime time.
sometimes when it would start, blue smoke would billow out
i dropped the generator, pulled the glow plugs and tested them. one had failed. i replaced all three and now it starts right away.
its a job to remove the gen, so replace the fan belt and the fuel filter while you are doing the repair.
i got all my parts from napa. the glow plugs are ngk plugs.
the number is on the side of the plug.

dredust
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the new diesel generator is new to me. I had no idea that the rocker switch had to be held down so long. It started up after holding the rocker down for 45 seconds. In the last month, it started after 5 seconds or so. Thanks for the help!

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Does new member mean new to you rv? As suggested, if this is your first time with a diesel generator this is normal during the glow plug warm up time. It can take much longer than you would think before it cranks.The preheat time could be as much as 15 seconds. This is the time before the starter even begins to crank the engine.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
My Diesel gen does that for a few seconds before it starts.
How long did you hold the button?
I know there was at least one post and the guy was just not holding it long enough.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When my ONAN 4k gas generator did that, it was a loose negative cable on the house battery.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
jwmII wrote:
Dead battery. Dirty battery cable terminals. Check both ends of cables. Could even have loose connections doing this. Check all of the above. Check the external start rocker switch. They get gummy being outside in the dirt and grime and sometime do not return to proper rest position holding any other switches out of the circuit and preventing starting.

Also, when you measure the voltage while starting measure it at the generator not at the battery. Dirty contacts will show up as a large voltage across the dirty contacts.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Dead battery. Dirty battery cable terminals. Check both ends of cables. Could even have loose connections doing this. Check all of the above. Check the external start rocker switch. They get gummy being outside in the dirt and grime and sometime do not return to proper rest position holding any other switches out of the circuit and preventing starting.
jwmII

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
The Start / Stop / Prime Button will Blink out a Fault Code if the Generator quits running or won't start for whatever reason. The Fault Codes and what they mean are Listed in the Owners Manual.

This is how you read a Fault Code.

1. If you'll look at the Start/Stop Button when the Generator stops running, it will be blinking, there will be a pause and then it will blink the same number of blinks again. Count the Blinks. 3 Blinks indicates a Service Fault. Press Stop and it will start blinking again. What you're looking for is a two digit code. 3 Blinks was the 1st Level of the code, pressing Stop will give you the full code. Example, when you press stop, you'll see, blink, blink, blink - pause - blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink - pause, and the blinking repeats it's self. So what code did it blink out? Right 36.

Now, if you've been gone and when you get back and the generator has stopped running, the Start/Stop Button will not be blinking. It quits blinking after 5 min. To get the Fault Code, Press Stop 3 times within 5 seconds and the blinking will start. You just need to count the First and Second Level Blinks. Example, blink, blink, blink - pause - blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink - pause - and it repeats. If you hit stop again, the blinking will Stop.

The fault codes should be listed in the Owners Manual.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Moved from Forum Technical Support