cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan generator problems (help)!

Jmori33
Explorer
Explorer
My 04 class a has a Onan micro quite 4000 in it and on a recent trip I learned my batteries were bad. The genset would crank and crank but not start. After jumping from the coach battery it would run but continued to be problematic. Finally I realized the bats weren't holding enough amps or volts to run. By this time I burned out the solenoid and replaced it. When I replaced it and hooked up a car battery after removing the junk deep cells I tried to start it again and got smoke from my controller board model 300-5046. I hooked up the solenoid according to the directions it came with but a think it could be wrong. I swore the three wires were originally hooked to the S the I and the positive coming OUT of the solenoid originally but the new schematic shows the positive wire before the solenoid. This is the only way it would crank so I hooked it up and got smoke. The control board is most likely bad now (yes?) and the replacement is like $350. I don't want to blow up a new one and can't find a used old one. Can someone please advise. Thanks so much.
Jeff
5 REPLIES 5

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Before I take any wiring apart, I use my smart phone and take a picture. It solves a lot of problems when putting everything back.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Jmori33
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. I took the old solenoid out and took it in to Advanced auto. They just matched it up by looks. They look the same except for posts vrs lugs. I didn't realize there are internal differences.

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Lookup flight systems on the net and call they can rebuild your board or send you a new one with a better warranty and less money. As Jim said make sure you have the right solenoid before you put a new board in.

Generator_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
There are at least five different ONAN solenoids. They have different internal wiring connections. If a "standard" ford solenoid is installed, the circuit board could be presented with a 12 volt "ground".

Remove the original solenoid and check the ONAN number stanped on the back of the mounting strap. Most auto parts places have a cross reference list.

JimL
Jim & Jane Latour
08 Chevy 3500HD, crew cab, dually, Duramax/Allison
Crossroads Cruiser CR305SK14, Onan 3.6KY
Retired AF CMS (E9) Power Generation and Onan RV genset Level III tech
Grand Strand Sams
Blog.rv.net

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes putting up a picture might help us help you get something like a solenoid wired correctly. Once you have figured out the wiring you can try flightsystems.com for a better deal on a control board. The only caveat would be that Onan dealers might get cranky about working on your genny in the future if they see you have one.

By the way, welcome to the forums! Good luck with your repairs.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO