cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan generator slow starting

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this information has been posted before, but hopefully it might help someone in the future with a slow starting Onan generator. I have a Class C Jayco with Onan 4000 KY generator (2004).For the past couple of years it has been very slow to start, especially sitting in the cold for extended periods. Yesterday after changing the oil and spark plug, I decided to check the choke adjustment. I loosened the nut on the choke plate and moved the plate counter clockwise to about the nine o'clock position. It started within 3 seconds!! Before, I had to crank on it (even after I had primed it) for 15 to 20 seconds, stop, and crank on it again to get it to start. A few times, the starter even "hung up" and I had to manually free it up. A lot of trouble to say the least. Anyway if you have to crank on yours for several seconds before it starts, try adjusting the choke plate and see what happens. Service manual says to look thru a sight hole to adjust it properly, but mine is mounted in such a way that I cannot get a good look thru the hole. Just play with it a few times and move it to where it runs well.
1 REPLY 1

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
That's a good tip. I run mine periodically under load. I use two portable heater to get it working and run it about an hour. I put a good dose of Marine stable in it for the winter so the fuel doesn't go sour. They say to run it once a month, I don't, but have not had any issues. I run it when I have time.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.