cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Painting inside of 5th Wheel good or bad idea?

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am in the process of refreshing the interior of my 5th wheel. I will be replacing all vinyl and most of the carpet with new vinyl plank interlocking flooring. Wife just has to decide on what color.

The border that ran around the walls at half height was faded and loose in several places. I took it down and now I can't seem to get rid of the adhesive left behind. I have tried the following:

wallpaper adhesive remover
Goo Gone
Alcohol
mineral spirits

Nothing has worked. My wife thought that maybe we should just paint over it with BIN Primer and then the color of her choice. I searched the forums and I did not see any posts discussing painting the inside of an RV.

Has anyone ever done this and how did it turn out? Did you just do the walls or walls and ceiling? What type of paint did you / should I use (latex oil interior exterior?

Anything that I need to know before attempting this?

Thanks in advance for your help

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
15 REPLIES 15

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Try nail polish remover (acetone).
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Some adhesives will bleed through a new coat of latex primer or paint.
When I paint walls that have been previously wall papered, I use an oil based primer. That locks any adhesive bleeding from coming through the final paint. You can topcoat with any type of paint on oil primer.

Since I've started using the ceramic-additive paints, I can recommend them, especially in areas that see high wear or use. The surface is much harder than typical latex or oil paints.

I was going to prime with the BIN 123 Primer which is a shellac based primer. It is supposed to cover smoke and water damage as well as graffiti etc.

I have never heard of Ceramic additive paint can you point me to a website or brand?

Thanks!

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I painted the entire interior of my camper... scrub, prime, then paint, using quality paint.
I expected durability problems and figured I'd just touch it up as needed, but it's been fine, no problems at all. Looks great.
Whether paint is a good or bad idea pretty much comes down to how nice a job you do.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Some adhesives will bleed through a new coat of latex primer or paint.
When I paint walls that have been previously wall papered, I use an oil based primer. That locks any adhesive bleeding from coming through the final paint. You can topcoat with any type of paint on oil primer.

Since I've started using the ceramic-additive paints, I can recommend them, especially in areas that see high wear or use. The surface is much harder than typical latex or oil paints.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve used GRAB IT on a couple projects, holds great for me.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
theres plenty of paneling glues out there ,that will hold better than a nail. and easy to use . about twenty dabs on a sheet put in place and move on. nails come loose.

think liquid nails
bumpy

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
theres plenty of paneling glues out there ,that will hold better than a nail. and easy to use . about twenty dabs on a sheet put in place and move on. nails come loose.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MudChucker wrote:
Im a fan of using new materials over painting the old materials.

having said that, I have seen many units where folks have done as donn0128 mentions, clean, quality primer and paint...

Since the OP is not able to get rid of the adhesive residue, new paneling over top is most likely the better way.

Trying to paint over the leftover adhesive most likely will show and not to mention cause the paint to fail to stick..

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Im a fan of using new materials over painting the old materials.

having said that, I have seen many units where folks have done as donn0128 mentions, clean, quality primer and paint...
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are quite a few proplr who have painted their interiors. I did the bathroom a few years ago. Wash with TSP, prime with Kilz and paint with your favorite latex. Just be sure not to go too dark.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
a nice paneling would look better than paint.

How would you attach the paneling? There are not many nailers in the wall. Would construction adhesive be a good solution?

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Why not put up a new wall paper border

Well if I had just taken down the old border and not have tried removing the adhesive that would probably have worked. In my attempts to remove the adhesive the stickiness has spread beyond any reasonable width border. I don't know what adhesive they used but it just won't budge

MrWizard
Why not put up a new wall paper border
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
a nice paneling would look better than paint.

yep, do the wainscot thingy
bumpy