cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PD Charge Wizard Pendant

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recently replaced my old magnatek buzzbox converter with a PD9245, and have a quick question about the Charge Wizard pendant.

Is the LED supposed to be illuminated when the trailer is not plugged in - i.e. no 120v to the converter, only running on battery?

My Charge Wizard light is on in this case, and I would think that if it's not plugged in, the light would be off. (and this would be my preference!)

Just wondering what someone else with this unit sees.

Thanks!
CC
6 REPLIES 6

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the comments, It makes sense that the light is acting as a voltmeter - I think that's a good way to look at it.

Although, I'd rather not look at it at all when I'm not plugged in!

Yes, I have read the manual several times, and it never addresses the pendant behavior when power is not applied to the converter.

I guess I'll have to rethink the pendant placement; I hate lights on - especially blinking ones! - when I'm trying to sleep.

Thanks again!
CC

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The owner's manual is written by technical writers (Oh I might add this applies to dang near all owner's manuals) who may or may not be engineers but who are not the end users.... They sometimes forget little things like "The light runs off the battery not shore power" part.

As an engineer who specializes in technical translation (Re-writing the thing in plain language).... Well.....

It helps that I have one too.

I have several manuals I've re-written where folks say "oh that's way too hard" after reading the official manual and then they read what I write and WOW was that easy... So far I've only one manual (Icom ID-880H) where I have not been able to do that..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Iโ€™m very surprised the ownerโ€™s manual doesnโ€™t discuss LED lights and their functions.

It does, however the owner has to read it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m very surprised the ownerโ€™s manual doesnโ€™t discuss LED lights and their functions.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
CapnCampn wrote:
Is the LED supposed to be illuminated when the trailer is not plugged in - i.e. no 120v to the converter, only running on battery?

Short answer is YES. the LED is basically a volt meter so if battery voltage is present it will either burn steady of flash.. Very low power draw. But it's always one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it stays lit, and will stay solid, slow flash or fast flash depending on the charge level required for the battery(ies) even if NOT plugged into 120AC. That Wizard pendant LED takes about a mouse phart of electricity, turn it sideways if the blinking bothers you.