cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pex crimpers

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My new trailer is a hodgepodge of different plumbing. It's obvious that incorrect materials are mated together in various places. I would like to consolidate and make it all pex so I don't have to worry about leaks, but I have zero experience with pex fittings and tools.

Just looking for enlightenment and suggestions. Some areas are going to be pretty difficult to access and I don't want big bulky tools borking it all up.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
10 REPLIES 10

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too use Flare-It. Easy peasy. If you have the spreader tool it makes it easier especially if you have old fingers. I carry a supply of different fittings.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I plan on re doing all the plumbing in the camper if we decide to keep it and not upgrade it. What I am doing is also the same and getting rid of the hodgepodge of plastic fittings and useless 1/4" lines and unreliable cone seals and switch to pure pex with proper brass connectors. this also involves changing things like taps and such out to proper residential ones but the benefit of that is you won't have as many issues with freezing in the winter and proper pex will handle the freezing but it's usually the plastic connectors in rv's that die. Im not saying I won't have to winterize but it would let me just use air and if a tiny bit of water is left in a line somewhere it shouldn't cause an issue

Your best bet is to try to build it in sections and pull it into place so you're making final connections where you have more space but that's only if your layout allows that. Otherwise look for the smallest crimper you can find. you will only need a 1/2" one so look for something like
THIS
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
jkwilson wrote:
There are downsides to 100% Pex.

First, it couples noise much better than flex. This is important with the pump connections.

Second, it can be very difficult to get fittings on Pex to align with the fittings on a faucet in the tight space behind a sink.

Finally, Pex can result in stresses on fixed fittings and valves since it is stiffer. Not as stiff as pipe, but you donโ€™t want a horizontal run bouncing and applying forces to a fixed fitting.

My 2 cents is to leave the flex on the pump and faucets, and possibly some places on the control panel, while using proper fittings and adapters. Also to anchor Pex near fixed connections and be sure it approaches the connection as close to 90 degrees as possible to minimize torque.

You do know that PEX is also available in a flexible roll, don't you?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are downsides to 100% Pex.

First, it couples noise much better than flex. This is important with the pump connections.

Second, it can be very difficult to get fittings on Pex to align with the fittings on a faucet in the tight space behind a sink.

Finally, Pex can result in stresses on fixed fittings and valves since it is stiffer. Not as stiff as pipe, but you donโ€™t want a horizontal run bouncing and applying forces to a fixed fitting.

My 2 cents is to leave the flex on the pump and faucets, and possibly some places on the control panel, while using proper fittings and adapters. Also to anchor Pex near fixed connections and be sure it approaches the connection as close to 90 degrees as possible to minimize torque.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Great info here. Thanks!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Flair-it works fine with no tools. I also have some sharkbite/gatorbite that have held up perfectly.

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
I use an Apollo crimper with Apollo clamps and fittings. I keep an assortment of fittings, a few bags of clamps, and of course a crimper on my coach. It's a great tool and even has a small LED that lights up when the clamp has been crimped to the right amount. I have had zero issues with this arrangement, save the 90-degree barbed to 1/2" FIP swivel fittings. The pipe side will almost always need tape to seal properly.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Look on You Tube for Pex
Dozens of 'how to'
EXAMPLE

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rather than crimpers I used Shark Bite.. Flair works well too (used one of those)

When the shark bites
Into pex dear
Water leaks
Dissapear
When the shark bites
Into pex dear
It does leak
if it's done right.

(TTT of Mack the Knife)

Only thing you need to knwo is to make sure the fitting goes on FULLY.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Flair It would be my choice for Pex.

You can hand tighten the fitting on pex, so you can get into those tight spots.
I carry a supply of Flair It in my MH.

Richard

P.S. And you can unscrew Flair It and take it apart by hand and then put it back together with out any cutting.
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson