cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

popping and stopping on landing gear?

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Cedar Creek with venture landing gear. It popped ever so often.. as if a gear or gears have sheared off . It will extend but has no power to lift the camper.

It broke the shear pin on the long shaft between the two legs.. replaced it and it broke again..so I guess something is binding up in the leg gears???? If the gear box was the issue probably wouldn't be strong enough to break the shear pin

Took the motor of and the pin through the shaft is only on one side.. other side broke off.

I know it is a guess... but is the problem most likely the pin broken on the shaft of the gearbox? Or do I need to replace the gearbox completely. Or would you think the gears in the legs. Ran out of time tonight and looking for advice.

New gear box is not that expensive..
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram
7 REPLIES 7

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Took it further apart.. and the follow leg binds up at a certain point...have a new leg on its way.

Thanks
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
It may be bent legs... but they retract perfectly..?? I have taken the gear box apart, as well as the gears on the motor... and the gears in the leg all look good and had plenty of grease..

Could it be the switch? the motor runs fine both ways with the motor not connected to the jacks

It did have a loose connection at the switch and I put it back and it still didn't work...when all was connected to the jacks

I will test the jack by hand this afternoon...

Any advice is welcome...
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I would stick something back in place of the broken pins and see if you can turn it manually.

My experience with sheared pins has been bent legs. But, grease could be an issue too.

On one of my 5thW I did have to replace the gears on each jack, but that didn't cause it to shear the pins.
Joe and Evelyn

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Greasing the legs each spring with a quality synthetic automotive grease is good PM.

Something to keep in mind with these stabilizers.
They main purpose is to stabilize the trailer, keep it from shaking when occupying the RV.

It's not necessary to over extend them by lifting or attempting to level the RV as this will lead to accelerated wear and or failure.

Not implying that this is what is happening here but simply a reminder.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
No grease zerks on the legs, pull off the top covers and have a look. I'm betting you're a prime candidate for hydraulic jack upgrade. Your leg gears and screws are likely worn to failure, but at the minimum are crying for lube. The gearbox will need a good looking at, and grease replacement, too. New shear bolts to finish the list.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks... I will check for a grease zerk. It has been a situation that has been worsening.. I understand this is hard to diagnose before getting it further apart.. thanks for the info
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Without knowing history of problem, or service done, such as lubing the legs themselves, it is hard to diagnose. Since you mentioned, it lacks power to lift the camper, it makes me think the leg worm gears are dry. Has this been a worsening issue, or just all of a sudden?

On my landing gear legs, there are grease zerks, about 6-8 inches from the top. I have put a couple strokes of grease in, and the landing gear did move easier.

Jerry