cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Solar Security

bdawson_goodsam
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about a portable solar system for my small TT but wondering how to secure such a system? Seems like a bit of a target for theft.
Bob Dawson
Production Director
Good Sam Media & Events
Oxnard, Calif.
2015 Starcraft Travel Star 207RB/2015 RAM EcoDiesel
Websites:
http://www.trailerlife.com
http://www.motorhome.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/TrailerLifeDIYTV
14 REPLIES 14

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Over the last 3 years we have probably camped 200+ days in dozens of campgrounds and boondock areas with our portable solar system. Personally, between us and our folks we have 70+ years of camping and have NEVER had anything grow legs. In general I'd say campers, even today, are well above the average population.

I've even left them out at night to get the early sun.

For us, if we couldn't have portable solar, solar would do us absolutely NO good. The very few times the trailer was in sun, it was hot enough we were running the generator for AC anyway.

And much of the year (spring an fall) being up north, we needed panel tilt to get decent solar efficiency anyway.

Often our panels are 100-150 ft away from the trailer to get into the sun.

Panels are big enoughm heavy enough, and bulky enough and not IMHO attractive enough to be worth growing legs. Unlike a portable honda generator which either can be put to use almost anywhere or turned into ready cash.

Most solar panels don't have a controller, that's in the trailer, are easy to spot etc. That I'm not concerned about loosing one.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Hotel doorknob screamer sealed in a plastic bag.

Or a grumpy dog.

Never had problem either. I carry bike style cable and a paddle lock but have never bothered to use it.

Love my 100w solar suitcase....works great.

2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
Have used ours all over, and still have the same panel. As RV daytrader said, lots of people worrying, but no one having actually had one stolen.

I can't think of anything that would protect my panel 100 feet from the trailer; if they really want it, there's nothing I can do to stop them. I'm not going to spend all my time worrying about it.

Doug

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hotel doorknob screamer sealed in a plastic bag.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
You read lots of posts about worrying that a portable panel getting stolen....I asked if anyone had one stolen or knew personally anyone who had one stolen...no one did!!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ain't worried....Had our 130 watt portable panel for pertnear 5 yrs now and the majority of the time it just sits out unsecured and it hasn't grown any legs ... yet. In fact when the 5er is sitting beside the house, the panel is resting against the pin keeping the battery charged and is not chained or cabled to the 5er. Don't worry bout it till it happens...then it's to late to worry
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
that must be movable for storage
i would drive that way
it must fold or slide back somehow
but yes, hard to steal

If you are referring to my solar generator on the bed of my RAM, yes it is ready for travel as the picture shows.

When I get to where I'm going I can leave it on my truck or sit it down in the sun and park my RV in the shade. Here is how I load/unload.... I don't have a video of my unit being loaded/unloadedd yet, but my flatbed is a haybed normally used to load/unload round bales of hay. so this link is showing round bales loaded. The bottom of the solar generator has caster wheels so I push it forward against the headrack and strap it down. The panels do not fold up however they are hinged on the front side and I can tilt them to either 22 or 33 degrees.loading/unloading

Here is a picture of what it looks like from the front front view

MrWizard
that must be movable for storage
i would drive that way
it must fold or slide back somehow
but yes, hard to steal
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Just make your portable heavy enough and it becomes harder to carry off.

portable solar generator

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a problem with our portable solar, if you take some safety precautions you should not have any problems. Keep in mind if someone wants it that bad they will find a way to get it, no matter what it may be ie. solar, generator, ice chest, camp stove, chairs etc. etc.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

It's 177F inside but yotta see my solar harvest!

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we were at Yellowstone a camper had it chained locked to the front of the trailer. I have a cable lock that we use,a lot of the time I lock it to the picnic table. Have never had a problem.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
bdawson_goodsam wrote:
Thinking about a portable solar system for my small TT but wondering how to secure such a system? Seems like a bit of a target for theft.

The only way to be totally secure would be an armed guard 24-7-365.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I went down that portable road before,....ain't nothing good about it IMO, except shade.

As far as security, if they want it, they can get it.

And if you knew how easy and maybe less expensive to bolt (or adheasive) a couple 3 panels on the roof, connect the controller to the battery, you wouldn't give portable another thought.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.