cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Solar Smoking

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
I inherited a NaturePower 120 Watt suitcase solar kit. Opened it up and hooked alligator clips to terminals of battery, after a short time, smoke coming from the wiring/charge controller area behind the solar panel.

What could cause this? Wire run was maybe 6 feet.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML
16 REPLIES 16

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although that may occur to some solar controllers, the one that came with our Renogy solar suitcase does not have this issue. There is no way you can connect the portable solar panel to your battery without prior exposure to the sun, our unit comes in a padded black case and the second you unzip it both panels are fully exposed.

Just start with a new controller, water proof would be better as I lost one to a passing flash storm common here in the Mountain West. Since you inherited it double check wiring before connecting new controller in case it has been fiddled with. I find our portable panel can really keep up with what we already have on the roof being that we can reposition it a few times a day maximizing periods of peak output.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
If the instructions didnโ€™t mention the battery first thing, that controller would have to not care, as Iโ€™m sure many purchasers would open then connect. All the controllers Iโ€™ve seen do proclaim battery first, but obviously I havenโ€™t seen โ€˜em all. Still, smoking wires are always a bad sign.

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
I used a 120 watt suitcase kit with the controller attached to the back of one panel for years and I connected the batteries to the controller after I had the panels set up. I never had a problem and never heard anyone mention having to hook up the batteries before the panels were exposed to sunlight.

Instructions don't mention this either, just says plug into port or connect to batteries. I'll buy a cheap controller and try again.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I used a 120 watt suitcase kit with the controller attached to the back of one panel for years and I connected the batteries to the controller after I had the panels set up. I never had a problem and never heard anyone mention having to hook up the batteries before the panels were exposed to sunlight.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
And here I thought this would be about how to smoke meat using a solar powered smoker........
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Grodyman wrote:
Controller is connected to rear of panel, so I would need to connect the clips while keeping the suitcase covered from the sun, then open the panels to the sun after connecting.....Is this the standard procedure?

Yup.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Must be fun setting that up each morning. Unless you go to town for lunch. Then you get to set it up after lunch too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Controller is connected to rear of panel, so I would need to connect the clips while keeping the suitcase covered from the sun, then open the panels to the sun after connecting.....Is this the standard procedure?

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
naturist wrote:
Probably is garbage now. Controller must be hooked to battery before any solar. Usually thatโ€™s taken care of by hooking controller to battery, THEN hooking panels to controller. Shut down by disconnecting panels THEN disconnecting battery. Since panels produce a small amount of power even in dim light, thereโ€™s no room for error. If thereโ€™s smoke, something is burnt up.

This is great info. I'm planning to get a 300w suitcase type unit with controller to supplement my 300w on the roof if we get in a shady place. Who knows what order I may have hooked it up in. Good info for sure.

Thanks,
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
naturist wrote:
Probably is garbage now. Controller must be hooked to battery before any solar. Usually thatโ€™s taken care of by hooking controller to battery, THEN hooking panels to controller. Shut down by disconnecting panels THEN disconnecting battery. Since panels produce a small amount of power even in dim light, thereโ€™s no room for error. If thereโ€™s smoke, something is burnt up.

This is great info. I'm planning to get a 300w suitcase type unit with controller to supplement my 300w on the roof if we get in a shady place. Who knows what order I may have hooked it up in. Good info for sure.

Thanks,
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a "kit" the panels are already wired to the controller's array side, so all you can do is connect the controller's battery side to the battery. This should not fry that controller.

Some controllers, not all, will go bad if you do not follow the proper sequence in their user manuals--connect battery first then array, and VV when disconnecting.

Must be something else the matter. Take it all apart and check each panel aimed at the sun using your DMM to make sure each one is ok (see their Isc and Voc specs), then re-assemble and try again.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Not reverse polarity. Interesting about the controller needing battery before opening panel. I wasn't aware of that. It is a cheap plastic controller, garbage.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Should have hooked up controller first before opening suit case possible blown controller, controller need's battery power first. Foud that the hard way when a battery went out and fried a $3oo controller, no where for power to go from panel's. Possible reversed cable's????
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.