cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power converter alarm when GFCI/Outlets breaker on.

newguy604
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, first time trailer owner, be gentle.

I bought a 2006 Jayco 1006 trailer. "It all works". Sure it does.

It's equipped with an Elixir ELX-30 power converter. When plugged into shore power, I can turn on the mains breaker, as well as the A/C (furnace?) breaker no problem. If I turn on the GFCI/Utility breaker, after about 5 seconds or so I get a constant alarm from the power converter.

When the offending breaker is on, I get 12V interior lighting and power to all of my 120 outlets. The fan in the converter does not turn on. The fan has been pulled and tested direct to 12V and the fan itself works. It just doesn't do anything when connected to the Converter.

All of the fuses installed in the converter are good. The battery is good and fully charged. I've tested both with and without the battery installed. When the battery is removed, thus only working on shore/converter power, my 12v stuff (interior lights, gas leak detector, etc) all turn on when that breaker is up, so it's doing something to make 12V, but it's also alarming the whole time.

Any thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3

newguy604
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I have to agree sounds like a failing converter though I have no clue as to why the GFCI breaker has anything at all to do with it.

UNLESS it's on that circuit.

YOu say the fan never comes on.. The fan is controlled either by a straight bi-metal thermostat or more likely by an electronic "Driver" that feeds it different power levels depending on how hot the converter is.. My guess is the driver failed... If that's the case there may be a "Cheat" but.... Well. a progressive Dynamics 9200 is a good plan (Unless the converter is part of the power distribution panel then a 4600)

Update:

When the 15A breaker is on, the converter is clearly powered by that circuit. I took the following readings today with a multimeter;

- No battery & 15A GFCI/Utility breaker OFF = no 12v and no 120V to plugs.
- No battery & 15A GFCI/Utility breaker ON = 12v converter supply to the trailer, and 120V to 120V outlets. But also no fan on converter and a constant alarm shortly after turning it on.
- When ON, I have measured approx 13.2V DC at several points in the system - battery terminal connectors and also at the DC supply points to the 3 way fridge.
- When ON, I have ~122V AC at the 120 receptacles.

What's this "cheat" you mentioned? I'm guessing it's the fan driver or something to do with the temperature measurement and control, since everything else seems to measure what it should.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have to agree sounds like a failing converter though I have no clue as to why the GFCI breaker has anything at all to do with it.

UNLESS it's on that circuit.

YOu say the fan never comes on.. The fan is controlled either by a straight bi-metal thermostat or more likely by an electronic "Driver" that feeds it different power levels depending on how hot the converter is.. My guess is the driver failed... If that's the case there may be a "Cheat" but.... Well. a progressive Dynamics 9200 is a good plan (Unless the converter is part of the power distribution panel then a 4600)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It sounds like a failing converter.
You tube video

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow