cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Progresive Industries EMS

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
......saves me again. We are in the middle a severe thunder storm and my PI EMS just shut the power off as it reached 127V and turned it back on again. This was one of the best purchases I have made. This is the second time I have watched this thing work and it ROCKS. Love spending money on things that work!
2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter
22 REPLIES 22

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I was at the same state park last year as I am now and was concerned about low shore power voltage during the hot period of the day. I have a PI unit and the voltage never got low enough that the PI shut it off to my 5'er. I was still concerned about my a/c's and low voltage so I looked up the operating specifications for my two Coleman units. I was surprised to see they are designed to operate at 115V, NOT 120V as I had thought. So the low of 108-109v that I have seen is just 5% or so lower than the design voltage of 115V. Why does my PI shut off at 104? Because 115V less 10% is 103.5V which is the absolute low to operate the a/c's. That is why the PI, and others, are set to shut down the power at 104V.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
Well I ordered the ems-pt50c and MY goodness,
why didn't you guys tell me it was so huge !!!

From all the pics I had seen I thought it was 4" wide x 8" tall and maybe 2" deep

This thing is 15" tall and maybe 6" thick and wide !!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that it's a problem - but that almost borders on NOT portable ๐Ÿ™‚

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Bobbo,

My goal was to have the rv appear to be on shore power at all times, so in my case there was no "extra" cost. What fits for me doesn't necessarily fit for others.

Yes my "solution" works because I never plug in the rv without checking the power source. I use: kill-a-watt

watt meter

Outlet tester.

outlet tester

ems from PI is good and well designed. If you have a 50 amp RV I think it is worth considering. If you are a 30 amp rv (and I am), then, in my opinion, it is close to the Emperor's new clothes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Steve,

I meet low voltage needs by doing double conversion. Converters can tolerate quite low voltage (some right down to 95 volts). I plug in just my converter, and plug the rest of the RV into my inverter.

That would cost more for a newby to properly set up than just getting the PI EMS! It would involve more batteries, a larger inverter, heavier wiring, etc. The PI would be more cost effective.

Also, does your solution protect from reverse polarity, miswired pedestals giving 240v instead of 120v, open grounds, etc.?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi renoman,

What else besides the converter was running when it fried from low voltage. I've regularly run my PD at 100 volts and Iota claims 95 volts (at reduced output, of course).

I'm much more likely to get an autoformer than a surge device.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
It was my converter frying under low voltage that prompted me to get the PI EMS in the first place. Priceless piece of equipment.
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
450 AHs of Trojan power

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Steve,

I meet low voltage needs by doing double conversion. Converters can tolerate quite low voltage (some right down to 95 volts). I plug in just my converter, and plug the rest of the RV into my inverter.

Actually most of my camping is boondocking so shore voltage is mostly a non issue for me. For example my last trip was 3 weeks and 3000 miles. I only stayed at campgrounds 3 nights.
Regards, Don

steveownby
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi renoman,

If the local power grid takes a direct "hit" from a lightening strike your PI ems will not protect you from the surge. So, it would be better to go and unplug. (don't forget a hard hat Lol)

The PI is the best of the best that RV'ers can afford. It doesn't meet my needs for low voltage protection, so it is useless to me.

renoman69 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I'd simply move to my inverter.

.......run out to the breaker panel and fiddle with the power cord in the pouring rain and hail? No thanks. I love my PI EMS.

Please explain your low voltage need and how you are meeting it. Enquiring minds.
Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
Had issues with power at a campground over the 4th of July - low voltage - dropped below 104 volts many times. I like out remote indicator - nice to see what the voltages are at the campground and how much current the rig is drawing.

Progressive Electrical Management System - Hardwired 50A w Digital Remote Display.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi renoman,

Yes it does--but only at 104 volts. I go no lower than 108, so the ems is useless for me personally.

If I could find a 4000 watt PSW inverter that was reliable I'd buy one and just plug in the converter 100% of the time.
Regards, Don

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi renoman,

If the local power grid takes a direct "hit" from a lightening strike your PI ems will not protect you from the surge. So, it would be better to go and unplug. (don't forget a hard hat Lol)

The PI is the best of the best that RV'ers can afford. It doesn't meet my needs for low voltage protection, so it is useless to me.

renoman69 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

.......run out to the breaker panel and fiddle with the power cord in the pouring rain and hail? No thanks. I love my PI EMS.

My EMS protects from voltage drop as well. It is the 30AMP hard wired unit. When we have a storm out at the lake the voltage seems to be all over the place, up and down. This unit has saved my stuff at least 4 times that I know of and who knows how many more when I was not around.
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
450 AHs of Trojan power

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still willing to trade TWO never used P-30 units for ONE 30AMP new Model HW30C Progressive Industries 30A

PM me if you wish.

Thank you!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
I believe my PI surge protector also shuts down on low voltage.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi renoman,

renoman69 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Regards, Don