cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progressive Dynamics PD4000 operating DC without a battery?

Alexandre
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!

I'm currently trying to install a PD4000 power center/converter into a Tiny House, and I must say (like others) that the company doesn't provide a lot of infos...

The AC side is ok. I have a main 30Amp breaker, a 15Amp breaker for the converter and all the other branch breakers. Everything works fine.

Now, for the DC side.

I would like to know if I could operate the PD 4000 converter without the installation of a battery. Doing it this way, should the Battery negative connection on the DC side be grounded directly to the trailer frame, the same way the AC side is grounded?

Thank you for your support!
6 REPLIES 6

Alexandre
Explorer
Explorer
Ok great. Thx for the answer.

And how should I connect the ground? From the neg battery connector on the DC side to the neg connector of the small battery to the trailer frame? Or, if there is no battery, straight to the frame?

It might be completly wrong, but, could DC and AC share the same ground cable?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The current PD converters are designed to be usable without a battery. I believe the manual/literature mentions this somewhere. Depending on what or how much 12V stuff you're powering, it may be useful to put in at least a small battery for high instantaneous current demands like motors starting up. It wouldn't need to be a particularly big or fancy battery for this usage since you aren't going to be running in a disconnected state in general. (It would also be mighty handy if you're someplace where power failures are somewhat common.)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My trailer has a ground bus where all the 12v negative side wires come together. There is a connection from this bus direct to the frame.

Converter chassis should also be grounded.

And yes PD operates fine with no battery.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
It will be fine with no battery. The 12 volt negative really should be bonded to the frame- you don't have to use the frame as a ground but it should be attached.
-- Chris Bryant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On the DC side.. Normal practice is to tie the negative to the frame/body. But it is not needed, you can float it if you wish..

Can it operate w/o a battery.. Most likely yes.. I have not studied that line but most likely yes.. However if you find you get "Buzz" in 12 volt stuff you can add what is called a hardening capacitor from any high end auto audio store.

These high capacity "Cans" It looks like a long tube or can with two screws in one end) act as battery simulators... I do not believe any current converter needs one though.. Just a couple of very old ones.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
The ac neutral and ground are not to be tied together. Only the ground is tied to the frame.

Personally I would install a battery. I think the converter is meant to charge the battery and not act as a power supply. A battery helps smooth things out.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter