cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Bleeder Valve

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
The bleeder valve on my motorhome's propane tank leaks unless it's tightened with pliers. Seems like I can replace it when the tank is empty and I shouldn't need to have the tank purged as long as I do the replacement pretty quickly. Does that sound right?

Don't tell me I can't do it and have to take it to a propane service.
31 REPLIES 31

Louseman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a good article describing the innards of a mounted propane tank:
RV Mounted Propane Tank Innards
The pictures really help.
โ€”
Mike

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Mounted and portable ones have a different style of bleeder valves. OP asked asked a question for a MH mounted permanent tank.
It is confusing for some to understand what he has asked.

Yup. I've never seen a DOT bottle with a separate bleeder valve.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mapguy wrote:
Be very aware of the spark danger if you don't have a brass/bronze wrench.

Also, make sure you get the dip tube oriented properly or future refills will be under or over filled.....

Not a difficult repair but can be problematic getting things loose if tank is old.

There is no tube on the part the OP is asking about. The part is a 80% liquid valve and it just screws into the fitting on the tank. Doug

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Be very aware of the spark danger if you don't have a brass/bronze wrench.

Also, make sure you get the dip tube oriented properly or future refills will be under or over filled.....

Not a difficult repair but can be problematic getting things loose if tank is old.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
navigator2346 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
How many years since it was certified? If somewhat close to the 12 years mandatory I would just have it updated and stamped.

Frame mounted tanks do not need re certification. They fall into a different category than the free standing tanks.

I am not a Motorhome expert but I "ASSUME" they don't all have "Frame Mounted Tanks" ???

The OP did not mention what he has unless I missed it???

I believe 'pliers' is the give away that it is not a bleeder valve built into the OPD valve.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mounted and portable ones have a different style of bleeder valves. OP asked asked a question for a MH mounted permanent tank.
It is confusing for some to understand what he has asked.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
SOME motorhomes have DOT LP tanks
MOST motorhomes have Fixed ASME tanks

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Cummins12V98 was being ridiculous, so I gave him an answer in kind."

Just noticed this. Still appreciate the answer, sure as HE!! don't appreciate the name calling.

Mob mentality I guess.....
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
How many years since it was certified? If somewhat close to the 12 years mandatory I would just have it updated and stamped.

The mounted tanks on a motor home do not get Re-certs

Luggables do

Are โ€œALL MOTORHOMES โ€œ equipped with fixed tanks? If they are removable I stand by what I said.

Yes. All motorhomes have permanently mounted tanks.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, and again THANK YOU!!!

Someone in clear english gave me the answer I was looking for!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Luggables do

Are โ€œALL MOTORHOMES โ€œ equipped with fixed tanks? If they are removable I stand by what I said.

To be accurate, you need to state 99 44/100 of motorhomes have ASME tanks. Back in the 60's and 70's and very early 80's they had DOT cylinders on some motorhomes. Some of those are still on the road. Doug

Cummins12V98 was being ridiculous, so I gave him an answer in kind.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
In 1978 we bought an older used Jamboree, class C, on a Dodge chassis. It had 20 lp. tanks.

Dusty

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Luggables do

To be accurate, you need to state 99 44/100 of motorhomes have ASME tanks. Back in the 60's and 70's and very early 80's they had DOT cylinders on some motorhomes. Some of those are still on the road. Doug

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Luggables do

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Are โ€œALL MOTORHOMES โ€œ equipped with fixed tanks?

I have never seen one since the last three decades manufactured for the US market that did not have a ASME tank. Towables and conversions may have cylinders, but tanks appear to be the norm for motorhomes for a very long time; maybe a RVIA requirement for the label.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.