cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane pressure at tank.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I know the propane system runs at 11" ( about 1/2#) but does anyone know the pressure at the tank. Some dirty little mice took a liking to my hose from the tank to the regulator and chewed the outer rubber off. I need to replace it and have some hoses off a gas grill but it is marked 1# and the hose on the camper is marked 350#. I know the pressure is NOT 350 but what IS it? If more than 1# I'll have to buy a hose, but If not I can save a few bucks. Thanks. And please, no lectures about how dangerous propane is and how I might blow up and all that stuff. I know, having served a 2 year pipe fitting apprenticeship.
12 REPLIES 12

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the propane hoses on my 5th wheel, as somehow the propane was leaching something out of the India built hoses. It clogged the system, especially the regulators. Got new hoses and regulators, a two stage and a high pressure one for the far side tank. The hoses were all marked as 350psi working pressure with a 600psi burst pressure. Bought most/all from Amazon, but some were shipped by Mr. Buddy Heater Company, as I remember, some from Amazon.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
If you get the hoses fabricated, make sure they use hose fittings that are rated to the higher pressure as well as the hose. I had a low pressure hose with quick connect made for a portable oven (11" pressure) at a shop that sold and installed gas logs and high dollar kitchen ranges (Jenair type that even had grills in the top). I used it to connect the oven to the low pressure outside stove connection on my pop up. Asked them to make some high pressure hoses for me and they said they didn't have the fittings and the crimping equipment for them. Had to get them made at a welding supply shop. Make sure the hose is also rated to handle propane.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I will get the proper PSI hose. I just didn"t know and did not want to take any chances.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
They make them with the 350 psi hose or the soft drawn copper. You are right, copper can work harden. I use the copper lines when they are exposed to the AZ sunlight, and I've never had one go bad in 45 years, except for one that was internal to my 1969 Avion camper and it rubbed against a copper water line. Fortunately, the water line broke first. LOL
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

da_bees
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
Some folks actually buy soft copper pre made lines for this piece.

They do but they shouldn't. The tanks and regulators vibrate during transit which can potentialy work harden and crack the copper.
No lecture intended but using industry standard procedures and material is how we avoid mistakes while dealing with issues we don't fully understand.
Having said that,you can save money buying from a parts house or LP equipment dealer that fabricate approved hose in house instead of rv dealer.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.protanksupply.com/propane-pigtails.asp
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

soling2003
Explorer
Explorer
Tank pressure is usually in the 100psi rance, so your 1 psi hose will not do.
DW and 2 dogs
2011 Ford F350 Dually LB 4x4 CC 6.7 diesel
2007 Grand Junction 35TMS
Peterson 37(just sold) T-37 R/C Sailboat at home

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
You need the high pressure hose from the tank to the regulator. Some folks actually buy soft copper pre made lines for this piece.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of variables to consider to get the psi during use. But the criteria for the hose to the regulator would be the max psi at say, 130 deg plus some safety factor.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV propane regulators are two stage regs.
1st stage drops tank/cylinder pressure down to 15# and 2nd stage drops pressure to 11" WC (.4#).

Tank/cylinder pressures vary due to temps and amount of butane mix.
At -44ยฐF the pressure is 0 psi. As the temperature increases so does the pressure. At 0ยฐF you have about 28 psi, at 32ยฐF about 60 psi. At 72ยฐF about 130 psi and at 100ยฐF close to 200 psi.

Go buy the correct/proper hose as a good pipe fitter apprentice should do.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wgriswold wrote:
The pressure varies with temperature. At 30 deg F it is about 50 psi and at 100 deg it is about 180 psi.

that's at the propane temp, not necessarily ambient since the propane temp drops as it boils at about -40F as you draw off the vapor. So tank pressure varies all over the map depending on draw rate, temps etc. The tank will vent if pressures get to high, but don't know what that pressure is.

One reason for using a two stage regulator is to get a more constant outlet pressure over the wide variation of tank pressure. First stage regulates to an intermediate pressure, the second stage then regulates down to the final roughly 1/2 psi.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
The pressure varies with temperature. At 30 deg F it is about 50 psi and at 100 deg it is about 180 psi.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y