cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank switch over

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
So, on the drivers side tank everything works. When I turn the switch/lever for the passenger side tank, everything but the FURNACE works. Does it take more propane to run the furnace than the hot water heater? Could it be my valve... it does show green when there is fuel in either tank. I'm stumped.

So far I literally have to grab the tanks and make the switch...
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually
3 REPLIES 3

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lar's wrote:
Yup, the passenger side has the Red Top Regulator... perhaps that's the problem.

Thx for the info.

Due to length of propane line across front of 5vr the 30# Red Top Reg is required....it lowers cylinder supply pressure to 30# and helps prevent propane vapor condensing back into a liquid in the long line.

The Red Top Reg fail and can limit propane flow BUT the pigtail hose from cylinder to Red Top Reg can be the cause of problems also

You can swap pigtails and test if passenger side pigtail works on drivers side
OR just buy new Red Top and pigtail and be done with it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, the passenger side has the Red Top Regulator... perhaps that's the problem.

Thx for the info.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Which side has the 30# Red Top Regulator---drivers or passengers?

If it is on the side that has issues with propane (furnace) then the 30# Red Top Reg needs replaced

IF the auto change-over reg is on side that has issues with propane then you are either opening that cylinder valve to fast and tripping 'excess flow device' (close cylinder valve, wait 30 sec and then open it slowly)
OR
the pigtail on that cylinder has a faulty 'excess flow device' (replace pigtail hose)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31