cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rage'n battery compartment lacks safety

jopes73
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up this 5th wheel toy hauler and wanting to make this battery compartment safer as well as a way to hold the batteries in there. The previous owner cut some ply wood to lay accross the top of the batteries to stop them from arching on the metal above.

I can't believe the manufacturer sent the camper out this way. There is no way to secure the batteries in this location without the lower battery possibly being in the way.

There was group 27's in there currently.

I have been looking for a few hours now and can't find any other rage'n 5th wheel for reference if theirs is the same as mine is.

2004 model 2930-5g 5th wheel toyhauler
9 REPLIES 9

jopes73
Explorer
Explorer
I went with smaller agms. I don't boon dock anyplace and always have a generator to keep the batteries charged.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow of them in the tiny storage area.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I see the issue and the reason for the wood on top although I really doubt the batteries will jump up. But here's a few thoughts.

You could stay with the wood on top.

Or use something like this. If the floor is just thin steel I would through bolt the metal loops. Link

Buy a battery box and just set the lid in top of the batteries. This is basically the same as the wood mentioned above.

Using short screws from the top screw the wood to the bottom side of the shelf.

Glue a piece of cheap veneer to the bottom of the shelf above the batteries.

Duct tape the batteries down.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The plywood idea is a good one. IMO keep doing that. With no holding straps, you need the compartment door to be secure. Perhaps rig an outside bar across it.

Actually in the 5er we had, I was able to fit 27s so the ends were toward the door, and there was just enough room inside to slide a thin board as a bar across inside the doorway, which was wider inside than the door so the board was held from coming out, and that held the batteries in if the door catch failed.

Three 27s, but shows the board across inside. Looks like you could do something similar one up and one down.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

jopes73
Explorer
Explorer
Battery box

Hopefully this link will work.

There isn't any room in there to put in a hold down or plastic battery Box. Height measurement is only 9-7/8" tall.

I will have to remeasure to see if I can lay a agm side ways. Really was not looking to spend that much on batteries as I have a generator to kepe things charged when needed.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Get batteries you can lay on their sides like Li or AGM.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Battery security. The piece of wood over the top is a good way to prevent arching.

But as for security
Had a partner at work who kept losing batteries from his Car.. The theives would pop the hook and steal the battery. Well after a few times he chained and padlocked the hood.. So they stole the whole car... (We got it back, better than when stolen but we got it back)..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I can't picture what you are running into can you post a few pictures so we can see what you are up against?

My first thought is can you put the batteries in a battery box with a lid? This would prevent arcing if the batteries did bounce up. I typically use some self tapping bolts through the bottom of a battery box to hold it down and then put the battery in and snap the lid closed. Come to think of it, I've never had a battery bounce up and dislodge the lid. Link

Another option is to put one of these on the floor and use self tapping screws to hold it down. Then put the battery in it and strap it down. Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Making batteries safer and hold โ€˜em in there is good. Manufacturers send โ€˜em out gawd awful.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need a photo.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.