cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ready to go w/ 2 6v batteries: converter/wire question

bgrasspkr
Explorer
Explorer
After a couple years in a big TT, then a 5th wheel, I made my first motor home purchase last year. I found a 2008 Gulf Stream Super C, with only 5k miles,kept inside in the winters, literally like new condition.

I've learned a tremendous amount regarding battery use and charging techniques on this forum the past couple years. The MH now has a 2 12V Marines, which I would like to replace with two 6v Trojan T-105's. Fortunately, I have room on the tray for these, AND I have a PD 9160 converter, rather than the WFCO(?)s that were in my last two rigs.

The MH has an onboard Onan 5500 Watt gen, and I have a 2k Champion Inverter that I sometimes bring along. I plan on purchasing the Charge Wizard for the converter when I get the new batteries. No plans for solar at this time, just not in the budget with the cost of the batteries.

It is a substantial run of wire from the converter, mounted under the rear bed, to the battery bay in the front of the rig right behind the driver cab. It looks thick, but I can't tell the wire gauge just by looking. The charts that I looked up give pretty similar diameter measurements between 0, 2, 4 etc, so I think I need to measure it to be sure.

Question is this: After purchasing 2 new bats, and the charge wizard, will I be able to get enough voltage across the bats with the existing wiring? How thick does it need to be for the converter to work properly in bulk mode. If my wire is not substantial enough, the thoughts of rewiring, or adding wire, or moving the converter just stresses me out!!

Any help from the extremely knowledgable battery experts on this forum appreciated.
31 REPLIES 31

bgrasspkr
Explorer
Explorer
yes, boondock substantially. Not cutting much. Marine batteries suck, 2 real deep cycles will be better.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing first. Why do you want to cut your available power by a third? Two 6V golf cart batteries will be barely more than one 12V. Second, you you really need golf carts? Do you boon dock? It really makes little sense to me to go backwords.