cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Really stupid question cc directv/satellite, etc

SuGar_Shack
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, people. I am TOTALLY confused when it comes to television. Here is what we have in our house:

Genie Gen 2
HR44-200

I am wondering how to get Directv in my RV. I'm assuming I need a Winegard. My son told me that this receiver is high def and I would need a high def portable satellite. Is that true? Thanks, Susie
Gary & Susie
2006 Dynaquest Super M320
300 Cat 6 spd Allison
2010 Ford Edge Limited Toad
32 REPLIES 32

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Let's just say you have an interesting take on improved technology. E/W requires 2 separate antenna/LNB setups so while it's nice to have that option in the trees, it requires additional hardware and setup time. The locals thing only works if you have a mobile account. The 211/Wally series receivers only do auto setup if you buy an antenna designed specifically for Dish use ONLY limiting your future options.
It's all about choices (not necessarily technology). Your choices appear to be exactly right for you.

Iโ€™m comparing using a $400 auto carryout dome that gets HD, east west (nice advantage) instead of a $1500 rooftop that I could rarely use where I like to camp. Being tied to DISH is not a negative. They cost less per month, too.

That's not improved technology, that's the fact that Dish is still using the OLDER KU band satellites to broadcast their signals. The domes CAN receive KU band from DISH and DirecTV. DirecTV changed to the new KA band broadcasts which the domes cannot receive. That's not improved DISH technology, that's just luck that DISH has not updated their technology. If they do, that will be the final death blow to the domes or the dome manufacturers will have to update THEIR technology
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Let's just say you have an interesting take on improved technology. E/W requires 2 separate antenna/LNB setups so while it's nice to have that option in the trees, it requires additional hardware and setup time. The locals thing only works if you have a mobile account. The 211/Wally series receivers only do auto setup if you buy an antenna designed specifically for Dish use ONLY limiting your future options.
It's all about choices (not necessarily technology). Your choices appear to be exactly right for you.

Switching my portable tripod mounted DISH 1000.4 dish setup from eastern to western arc or vice versa adds about 2 minutes to my setup time. Two small screws and swap two coax connections for my Hopper w/Sling setup...

DISH also switches locals with a 5 minute chat session or Facebook messaging session.

And the 211/Wally receivers work fine with the Winegard Carryout G3 that's DISH, DTV, and Bell compatible.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Iโ€™m comparing using a $400 auto carryout dome that gets HD, east west (nice advantage) instead of a $1500 rooftop that I could rarely use where I like to camp. Being tied to DISH is not a negative. They cost less per month, too.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikestock wrote:
The cheapest way to take DirecTV HD on the road is to get a Slimline 3, a tripod to hold it and learn to set it up. I did it this way for years before installing an automatic Winegard on the roof. I still carry a portable setup when I expect to be in a place where trees could be a problem.

For the portable setup,I found that I have the best luck using a legacy LNB, working with a cheap, self powered, meter to find the satellites and then swap over to a SWM, LNB for viewing.

X2. Not for everyone but pretty easy with a bit of practice.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
The cheapest way to take DirecTV HD on the road is to get a Slimline 3, a tripod to hold it and learn to set it up. I did it this way for years before installing an automatic Winegard on the roof. I still carry a portable setup when I expect to be in a place where trees could be a problem.

For the portable setup,I found that I have the best luck using a legacy LNB, working with a cheap, self powered, meter to find the satellites and then swap over to a SWM, LNB for viewing.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Other than more recording channels on the Hopper, what other technology does Dish have that DirecTV does not? You would need to compare a Hopper 3 to the new Genie 2 or similar receivers/antennas. Be sure to include how using having to select Eastern Arc or Western Arc satellites (requiring 2 different LNB's) is better than only having 1 centrally located set of satellites.

Resetting your box and changing locals via your app without calling tech support is nice.

Choosing between east or west has meant getting a signal when trees or hills were in the way..

DISH has a Siri like remote now. Does DTV.? I Havenโ€™t used one.

DISH Hopper mates with Alexa. Does DTV? I donโ€™t know.

If you use a 211, there is built in firmware that sets up a auto carryout with HD.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the Dish for my RV iPhone app to find the satellites. If I remember correctly it was a whopping $5 one time cost.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Other than more recording channels on the Hopper, what other technology does Dish have that DirecTV does not? You would need to compare a Hopper 3 to the new Genie 2 or similar receivers/antennas. Be sure to include how using having to select Eastern Arc or Western Arc satellites (requiring 2 different LNB's) is better than only having 1 centrally located set of satellites.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Susie,

I did exactly what you want to do.
I had the same receiver, a portable standard definition dis(18" round)
I built my own collaspable tripod out of 1-14" pvc pipe and generally had it working in about 10 minutes or so.

What I got was Standard Definition from Directv.

That being said, Directv is supposed to stop broadcasting in standard definition in April of 2019.

I had a high definition dish and all the other stuff you need for HD but it took up too much space in my trailer.

That being said, I just recently switched to Dish after being with Directv for 15 years.
Channel for channel I'm saving 600 a year (50.00 a month) plus what I didn't expect was the other technology that Directv doesn't have.

If you want more info please feel free to PM me.

Josh

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the Genie as well.
I had Direct TV send me a H24 receiver to use with my Winegard Carry out dish. Even though the H24 is HD receiver it works with the winegard but only in SD.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
RF Mogul Eagle DTV search operation:
1. Power on button
2. 30 seconds to acquire GPS, no delay if power was previously turned on.
3. Maximum elevation
4. Set skew based on the GPS
5. Set elevation based on the GPS
6. Azimuth rotation, no GPS for this, finds sats on first rotation.
7. Optimize signal for the 3 sats

Trees etc can require longer and/or incomplete success.

Normal time 30 sec + 3 minutes.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Keep in mind that while the Genie 2 can be anywhere in the RV it is 11"Hx6x6 and must be mounted vertical. It also needs adequate cooling and AC power (thinking boondocking). And it must have a coax from the dish, clients can have a coax or wireless.

I have my HR44 (HD, not 4K) mounted vertical in the back of a cabinet. The door is cracked 1/2" for air ventilation. The remote is RF and can be used anywhere in the rig. It also has IR for my IR TV. The TV IR remote is required for OTA, DVDs etc. If you are not aware RF means line of sight is not needed, can be in a different room.

The HR44 has a brick for power and a second brick is used for the dish. Mine are located in an adjacent area but they do of course produce some heat.

I chose the RF Mogul Eagle because:
1. The dish has only motors and gears with all electronics inside.
2. The GPS antenna and LNBs are on the dish.
3. Start to finish the DTV lock time is 3.5 minutes.
4. I can have parts shipped to me for field service, no need to remove and ship a failed dish to them like Winegard.
5 For about $300+ a kit to convert to Dish is available. The LNB and arm are changed and new firmware. The controller has a common card slot for the flash drive. Plug it in and reboot.

Many are satisfied with their Winegard dish.

All of these factors and more should be considered with a RV installation.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
SuGar Shack wrote:
Okay, people. I am TOTALLY confused when it comes to television. Here is what we have in our house:

Genie Gen 2
HR44-200

I am wondering how to get Directv in my RV. I'm assuming I need a Winegard. My son told me that this receiver is high def and I would need a high def portable satellite. Is that true? Thanks, Susie

You CAN use a portable dome with your Genie but it requires some modifications to add SWM capabilities. If you Google Winegard SWM setup you will get the .pdf that describes how to setup a dome with the SWM8 hardware.
Personally, I don't recommend this as you will NOT get any HD programming and DirecTV is changing what they broadcast from 101 sometime in 2019 so the dome may become obsolete (no one knows for sure) sometime later next year.
The least expensive option is to buy a home style antenna mounted on a tripod. It takes a bit of time to assemble and disassemble at each new location but it only takes a short time to locate the satellites once you have a bit of experience (learning!) with the pointing requirements and using the pointing apps available.
By far, the easiest option is to install a Winegard Trav'ler or RF Mogul Eagle. It's not cheap but it's super simple and it works everywhere in just a matter of minutes. The down side is you cannot park under a tree as you need a clear view to the Southern Sky.