cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrig LP Gas 'Flame' indicator not working?

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic Americana, from around 2000. It is a three way, 3cuft. For LP operation, it has a button for the LP, and Piezo ignitor, and an indicator labeled 'Flame'. You press and hold the button for the LP, then press the ignitor a few times until you see the 'Flame' indicator move into the green area showing that the LP gas is lit and operating correctly.

I thought the refrig was broken in the LP mode as I tried several times to get it lit with no luck. So I'd shut it off. The last time I tried, I forget to shut it off. The next morning when I was going to troubleshoot the system, I noticed the refrig was nice and cold. Flame indicator still showed it was off. Tapping the indicator, it sometimes will behave, but that very rare and usually tapping it does very litte.

So the refrig fine, but the 'Flame' indicator needs to be replaced. Seems to run fine if I start it blind, even though the indicators showing its not lit.

Is it possible to just replace the Flame indicator? Any good leads on parts suppliers if so? Any idea if its difficult or very time consuming? I'm fairly handy, understand 12v in general, but have no refrig troubleshooting skills. If its a disassemble and un-plug/plug in scenario I should be fine.
5 REPLIES 5

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got around to checking the flame indicator in the refrig. When lit, I get a reading of about 8.9 ohms at the leads attached to the rear of the indicator. If I shut it off, the ohms drop over a short period of time. So I think the refrig is sending the correct info to the meter, but the meter is broken. I'll order and replace the meter.

Thanks for the assist.

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
Very helpful. I'll dig and check the wiring first, then figure out how to proceed.

Great info. Thanks.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a service manual as such for that, but if you don't have it the owners manual is at http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/rm2333.pdf

You might pull it out and check for loose wires before ordering that meter, which is Dometic p/n 2955037011

Shop around for that, the cheapest price I saw was in the $55 range- which is a good price (less than I pay from Dometic). Adventure RV and Dyers had good priced.
-- Chris Bryant

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
Its a Dometic RM 2333 3-way.

Really appreciate the help!

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That flame indicator is just a millivolts meter hooked to the output of the thermocouple. Give me a model and product number and I can get a part number.
-- Chris Bryant