cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator Fan

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any experience with this fan?
Refrigerator Fan
After reading other posts I was thinking this may make the cool down time faster but I was wondering about this type of fan. Please let me know if you have tried this or have other suggestions. Thank you.
21 REPLIES 21

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
bobmacc wrote:
pbitschura wrote:
bobmacc wrote:
I installed two of these fans in my Norcold 1210. Found they moved a lot of air well in the fridge but they caused moisture to accumulate on the fins at both sides of the fridge and then freeze. This resulted in reduced cooling capacity when the fins iced as the thermistor was in the affected area. As a result, the fridge cooling deteriorated and I removed them. Seems like a great idea in theory but in my case, it failed in practice. Cooling is now much better without them.
I also added a 160cfm muffin fan at the top vent. In my coach, the fridge is in a slide and it is difficult to exhaust the heat out the sidewall vent so the fan helped considerably in Florida this winter. Since then, I added two additional 160cfm fans that I can switch on and hope this will work well during the hot summer. Time will tell. Sounds to me that I wouldn't be fighting these battles with a residential fridge so who knows what time will bring!
In your case, was the fan in the frig on a lower shelf or blowing over the fins directly. It seems that the goal is to move cooled air away from the fins. A fan in the vent channel exterior to the frig has worked well on hot days and an interior fan may not be necessary. But I have all the parts on hand if it would be a benefit. Thanks.

I installed two of the fans shown in the RV Cooling Unit link above. These are low current dual fans mounted in an aluminum shroud. They attach directly to the fins and move a significant volume of cold air that has passed through the fins into the fridge. They obviously also blow cold air out of the fridge while the door is open. As others have suggested, a low volume fan on the bottom shelf might be more effective. Based on my circumstances, I have come to believe that moving cooling air through the rear vent is likely the best solution to optimizing interior cooling.
Thanks. I will play around some and report back with what I find. I plan to mount a computer fan on the fins to move air down where temps above 90 stress the frig to hold 40 degrees.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

bobmacc
Explorer
Explorer
pbitschura wrote:
bobmacc wrote:
I installed two of these fans in my Norcold 1210. Found they moved a lot of air well in the fridge but they caused moisture to accumulate on the fins at both sides of the fridge and then freeze. This resulted in reduced cooling capacity when the fins iced as the thermistor was in the affected area. As a result, the fridge cooling deteriorated and I removed them. Seems like a great idea in theory but in my case, it failed in practice. Cooling is now much better without them.
I also added a 160cfm muffin fan at the top vent. In my coach, the fridge is in a slide and it is difficult to exhaust the heat out the sidewall vent so the fan helped considerably in Florida this winter. Since then, I added two additional 160cfm fans that I can switch on and hope this will work well during the hot summer. Time will tell. Sounds to me that I wouldn't be fighting these battles with a residential fridge so who knows what time will bring!
In your case, was the fan in the frig on a lower shelf or blowing over the fins directly. It seems that the goal is to move cooled air away from the fins. A fan in the vent channel exterior to the frig has worked well on hot days and an interior fan may not be necessary. But I have all the parts on hand if it would be a benefit. Thanks.

I installed two of the fans shown in the RV Cooling Unit link above. These are low current dual fans mounted in an aluminum shroud. They attach directly to the fins and move a significant volume of cold air that has passed through the fins into the fridge. They obviously also blow cold air out of the fridge while the door is open. As others have suggested, a low volume fan on the bottom shelf might be more effective. Based on my circumstances, I have come to believe that moving cooling air through the rear vent is likely the best solution to optimizing interior cooling.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
Keep in mind the computer fans generate a small amount of heat which also must be removed by the fridge.

Computer fans vary widely in the amount of air moved, for the current consumed and the noise made. Some companies Like Noctua make incredibly sophisticated fans. I employed one of their 120mm fans on my condenser that makes half the noise and uses less than half the current as the fan provided with the fridge.

For my interior fan, with my small 1.8 cubic foot compressor fridge, I sought out the 40mm fan with the least current consumption, at 0.03amps. It moves about 6.5 cfm. I have it blowing at the evaporator/coldplate 24/7, and it makes a huge difference.

Much more even internal temps.
A lower thermostat setting needed to achieve sub 35f everywhere in the box.
Much faster cool down of warm items placed within.

I took power from the LED light for the fan.

I would not want to cycle the fan as the hydro dynamic bearing lubricant was never intended to start in such cool temps. So far the fan will have been running nearly continuously for 2 years.

A similar fan (with a sleeve bearing) made it 5 years before becoming noisy, in my last fridge which failed.

So keep in mind the fact that not all fans are created equal. Huge variances exist in design and performance, and larger fans moving lots of air inside the fridge could easily negatively affect overall performance by adding a heat load, or by expelling cold air more efficiently whenever the door is opened.
All good points.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind the computer fans generate a small amount of heat which also must be removed by the fridge.

Computer fans vary widely in the amount of air moved, for the current consumed and the noise made. Some companies Like Noctua make incredibly sophisticated fans. I employed one of their 120mm fans on my condenser that makes half the noise and uses less than half the current as the fan provided with the fridge.

For my interior fan, with my small 1.8 cubic foot compressor fridge, I sought out the 40mm fan with the least current consumption, at 0.03amps. It moves about 6.5 cfm. I have it blowing at the evaporator/coldplate 24/7, and it makes a huge difference.

Much more even internal temps.
A lower thermostat setting needed to achieve sub 35f everywhere in the box.
Much faster cool down of warm items placed within.

I took power from the LED light for the fan.

I would not want to cycle the fan as the hydro dynamic bearing lubricant was never intended to start in such cool temps. So far the fan will have been running nearly continuously for 2 years.

A similar fan (with a sleeve bearing) made it 5 years before becoming noisy, in my last fridge which failed.

So keep in mind the fact that not all fans are created equal. Huge variances exist in design and performance, and larger fans moving lots of air inside the fridge could easily negatively affect overall performance by adding a heat load, or by expelling cold air more efficiently whenever the door is opened.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
bobmacc wrote:

bobmacc
Explorer
Explorer

l001952119
Explorer
Explorer
mchero wrote:
Check out this link;
http://rvcoolingunit.com/Cooling-Performance-Enhancing-Items-C320215.aspx?sid=298

mchero: Thanks for sharing the identity of this source. I purchased a dual fan and it is quality. Easy to install.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to cut/splice wires, so I use a Valterra fan that runs for months on a set of two D batteries. It doesn't move much air, but it circulates enough to keep the fridge compartment cool.

My next rig, I'm probably going to go with 1-2 "computer fans" inside the refer compartment, as well as 1-2 at the top of the vent to help air circulate. That way, I don't have to worry about changing the D cell batteries every so often.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can make your own just buy a 12v computer muffin fan attach it to a refrig. shelf attach the wires to the refrig. light so the fan runs when the light is off and turns off when the door opens. You just need to move the air inside the refrig.
same as using the fan that sat on the shelf and ran on 2 D size batt.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
fuzzbutt wrote:
Mine helps. What worked better was installing 2 fans at the top of the vent outside.
I installed one in my outer vent but will do the same in the frig. Mine come from gutting a tower computer. Most have two fans, run on 12v and are extremely frugal in electrical usage, less than .3 amp per hour.

fuzzbutt
Explorer
Explorer
Mine helps. What worked better was installing 2 fans at the top of the vent outside.
John, Sherry & Sabrina
+ Mowgli (Keeshond) Shane (Border Collie) Sunny (Sun Conure) & Lily (Cockatiel)
94 Winnebago Adventurer 34'
04 Nissan Murano
05 Acura TL
92 Honda Gold Wing
Now.....bring me that horizon.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this link;
http://rvcoolingunit.com/Cooling-Performance-Enhancing-Items-C320215.aspx?sid=298
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

Correct, it doesn't make it cool better but it makes the temperature uniform throughout the refrigerator.

I have to disagree with that statement. Try running your A/C without the fan and then say that the fan doesn't help it cool better, it just makes the temperature more uniform. The fan circulates air over the cooling coils which makes the cooling process more efficient.

Yes, a fan cannot lower the minimum temperature of the coil, so in that respect a fan does not "make it cool better". What it will do is reduce the duty cycle of the coil needed to maintain a given temperature. In that respect, it does "make it cool better".
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. I think I will look into installing one of these fans soon.