cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace PEX tubes with flexible hose?

I_am_Yu
Explorer
Explorer
I'm repairing a piece of rotten floor in my trailer, and the trouble is, there are some PEX tubes right in the way of where I need to cut. I need to disconnect it somehow to gain access. Would it work to cut off the collars around the tubes and cut the tubes off, and then when I'm ready to reconnect it, just use a short section of braided clear flexible hose attached to the PEX fitting with a hose clamp? Will the hose be OK on the hot water side? Or maybe automotive heater hose, if I can find some small enough.
9 REPLIES 9

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
There is no PEX to hose fitting that I am aware of, it would take multiple adapters to do that job. PEX and hose barbs are two different things.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
I once tried vinyl tubing and hose clamp as a temporary fix when a PEX collar failed. The grooves on the PEX fitting were not deep enough to hold the tube with a hose clamp once pump pressure was applied. The only thing that worked was to replace with a PEX crimp ring. If you choose to use the shark bite fittings, remember that they only clamp to tubing and not PEX fittings. So cut the tubing as far enough away from the PEX fitting to allow installation of the sharkbite. Curious why not replace with pex tubing and collars?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sharkbite (Home Depot) Gatorbites (Lowes) Flair-It (ACE Hardware)

All can be easily installed AND removed if necessary (Shark/Gator have a semi-circle removal tool available-----Flair-It fitting slides onto PEX then you push the PEX onto 'barbed' section/slide fitting down and tighten)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do it right. Do it once.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would avoid vinyl tubing at any cost. +1 for sharkbite or gatorbite.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would stay away from the clear tubing. Replace with piece of PEX using the SharkBite style fittings.
Some similar fittings are not removable like SharkBites.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
X2 on the SharkBite fittings.

I recommend the real SharkBite Brand.
They coast a little more than the plastic versions but, they hold up very well.
I've been using them on my home heating system for 15 years with no problems. They are very easy to install.

Ditto. If you're in it for the long haul, buy three aftermarket PEX tools.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the SharkBite fittings.

I recommend the real SharkBite Brand.
They coast a little more than the plastic versions but, they hold up very well.
I've been using them on my home heating system for 15 years with no problems. They are very easy to install.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why can't you simply disconnect the PEX tubing and reconnect it when done. As for the flex I assume vinyl tubing that's asking for leaks. If you must carefully cut the PEX hose, get a PEX splice from the hardware store and just splice the PEX back together. I had a number of leaks from the manufacturer using vinyl tubing where PEX was called for.

Sharkbite spilce
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper