cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace Workhorse W-22 fuel pump @ 26,000 miles?

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greetings everyone,

We have a 2005 Georgie Boy motorhome on a 2004 W-22 Workhorse chassis. My gas tank started leaking about 5 years ago from one of the spot welds which holds the front fuel tank baffle in place. (There are numerous reports of this happening, so if you have a similar vintage, be aware of the potential for a problem.) When it started it was just a weep and a dab of JBWeld would keep things sealed up. Over the years, the leak worsened and now I finally decided to drop the tank and have it repaired properly.

My question:

Would you recommend that I replace the fuel pump as a preventative maintenance step at this time?

My 10 year old rig has almost 26,000 miles on it. No fuel pump issues to date. We do plan to do some extended travelling in the next couple of years, probably doubling our current mileage within a couple of years.

I havenโ€™t looked specifically for the price of the exact fuel pump, but preliminary research suggests the fuel pump will be somewhere in the $300 price range.

Part of me says to replace it, yet another says that if itโ€™s working, leave it alone.

I do plan to replace ALL rubber fuel lines going to and from the tank, including the generator feed as well as all clamps. I also plan on putting a longer pick-up tube for the generator so that it can draw more out of the tank. (Yes, I know the risk of running down the tank, but I think I can handle that! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

So I guess what Iโ€™d like to know is what would you do?

Or, how many miles did you have on your original W-series fuel pump before it needed to be replaced?

Thanks,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.
5 REPLIES 5

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
Ginuine AC/Delco fuel pumps can be bought at other than a dealer, cost around $175, I would change it while you have tank out, it is 10 years old, and a lot easier to change at your conveince that some shop after It leaves you somewhere

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Heres my experience with Workhorse chassis and fuel pumps. We ran a fleet of Workhorse chassis step vans. One unit had a long history of fuel pump failures. It was an out of town vehicle with a regular route around NM. The pump would fail in one particular town each time. Started to blame the driver being in camp with a local garage and claiming the replacement and splitting the cost of replacement....turns out, this driver always planned a fuel stop in this town and was always nearly empty. Found out that the pumps need a quantity of fuel to keep it cool. When you run on near empty, the pump can overheat and fail. Moral???? Don't let your tank get below a quarter tank if you have a Workhorse chassis.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
II would at least look at the condition of the pickup strainer. If it's full of junk or if it is brass mesh and purple or green it would give me pause.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
KJINTF,

Yes, I have changed the filter and I will be changing that as well during that process. I do have the handy-dandy adapter that allows the standard AC/Delco filter to be used.

I will probably post this on irv2 as well. Thanks for the reminder. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Rick

Lots of good Workhorse info over here
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/

I would hope my fuel pump would last 100K miles
Have you changed the "workhorse" fuel filter?
Suggest you do the mod which allows the use of a standard filter