cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing counter tops

lzrball
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 18 ft Pioneer Spirit travel trailer and the counter top under the sink area is very bowed so water will run under the edge of the drop in sink.
Is it possible to replace this area with slab granite? I have some extra from a house remodel and can have a whole cut out for the sink. Will it be too heavy for the cabinets or flooring?
Thanks for any help I can get!!
10 REPLIES 10

lzrball
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who commented on my question. I very much appreciate all the help. Very valid points. Will probably just replace with existing type of counter. Thanks!!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You can check with the guy that did your counter tops inn the house but I think most installers will recommend 3/4" plywood underneath the stone. In the application in an RV, it may be necessary to reinforce the cabinets in certain spots.

If it was me, I'd try to use the stone around the house somewhere (does your deck or patio need a small table?) and install laminate over wood in the RV. You can get some fairly nice looking laminate, nowadays. We have some in the kitchen that resembles dark granite.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
pkunk wrote:
It depends alot on what your CCC is and what the difference is between the existing countertop and the 'small' piece of granite you'll be using. The difference probably isn't much more than a few cans of pork & beans.

3/4" granite countertop is around 12.8 pounds per square foot. Typical household laminate is around 3.5 pounds per square foot, so the difference is very roughly 10 pounds per square foot of countertop. It adds up pretty quickly unless the counter is tiny (which is unfortunately a very real possibility in an RV).

My point exactly. Maybe 100#s. I didn't consider that the framework might not hold an extra 100#, but in 'MY' RV it is certainly more than ample. Then again, could he have 1/2" granite?
Most solid surface countertops are glued down which negates the 'screw' issue.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
keep in mind if you use slab stone there is a good chance it will crack from the flex built into the trailer

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Did my kitchen and bathroom counters with 12" granites squares...have not had any problems in 3 years.
cpaulsen

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
pkunk wrote:
It depends alot on what your CCC is and what the difference is between the existing countertop and the 'small' piece of granite you'll be using. The difference probably isn't much more than a few cans of pork & beans.

3/4" granite countertop is around 12.8 pounds per square foot. Typical household laminate is around 3.5 pounds per square foot, so the difference is very roughly 10 pounds per square foot of countertop. It adds up pretty quickly unless the counter is tiny (which is unfortunately a very real possibility in an RV).

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
1) Yes.

2) "too heavy for the cabinets or flooring"? Possibly. For this reason alone I suggest replacing it with a regular MDF laminated counter. Cabinets are usually flimsy, with 3/4" stud holding the counter at the perimeter and 1/8" plywood covering the walls. When I was replacing my 2 years old counter - wanted a smaller sink and bigger working space - I found that this 3/4" stud was cracked where it was supporting the gas stove. Just driving on poor roads a few weeks caused this.

By the way, my gas stove was attached with 4 screws #8 into the butt of this MDF countertop, i.e. horizontal screws in 5/8" MDF, and the counter was TAD cracked around the screws. If your stove is installed similarly, I don't know how you will drive screws into granite slab.

Get MDF counter from a big box store or specialized counter shop, just make sure that thickness and the profile is the same - i.e. with or without "lip". If you are averagely tidy and don't let water pooling on the counter for days, MDF counter will last a decade or more.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

lzrball
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. That is what I thought but wanted to get some other opinions before I did anything.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably. Trailers, heck all RV's tend to be built rather light to save weight. You would be better off to take the entire counter top off, cut and install a new onenout of MDF. Heck you might be able to buy a ready made one from a big box store.