cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof repair

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
I was washing my rubber roof yesterday, a task that I had not yet done, and I noticed a soft spot in the front corner. As I examined that spot, I soon realized it was much worse that I expected. The wood under the rubber is completely gone in a 2X3 foot area, and the radio antenna is attached to the rubber there...suspended like a kid in a trampoline, bouncing along as the rubber roof flexes due to the lack of substrate underneath. No tears or leaks in the rubber. Apparently the previous owner must have replaced a leaky roof, but didn't bother to fix the decking underneath. Apparently that job falls to me now, should I choose to fix it. My questions are these....has anyone ever had success peeling the rubber back in a manner that preserves the membrane? In other words, is it advisable to peel it back, repair the wood, and then reglue the rubber back down? Perhaps then coat the entire membrane with liquid rubber for security? Or should I just replace the entire 30 foot roof? I am trying to do this on a small budget. I thought of selling the camper, but ethically I just can't do that knowing the condition of that roof right now. Advice?
8 REPLIES 8

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have done exactly what you are asking about doing for the roof repair. On my previous trailer I had to "peel back" the left front corner to replace an area of about 2' x 4' triangular roof board. Also had to rebuild part of the roof and wall studs. Repair lasted for eight years and still working fine when I sold trailer.
If you want more information on how I did the work, send me a PM.

Dr Quick
Dr Quick

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
If the rubber is good you can roll it back and repair the decking.

The back of the rubber will be sticky and you'll need to clean off the trash/decking that sticks to the rubber so it will lay back down smooth. Once it's clean, cover the rubber with something that won't leave more trash in the glue on the back.
Joe and Evelyn

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trumpeterb wrote:
Gjac wrote:
How close to the front cap is the soft spot and how big is the spot?

Soft spot (more like missing decking) is roughly 2 feet wide and 4 feet long. Located in the front corner. Starts getting soft maybe 2 feet back from the cap, but I am sore that whole corner up to the cap will need replaced. All of the rot occurs before the first seam in the roof decking.
That is a big area, I was thinking if it was small enough and closer to the front cap you could fix it by adding plywood inside the front cabinets as this would hide the structural repair. It sounds like the rubber will have to be rolled back to remove the rot and replace with new decking. Good luck, many on here have replaced there entire roof so I think your repair is doable.

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:

Soft spot (more like missing decking) is roughly 2 feet wide and 4 feet long. Located in the front corner. Starts getting soft maybe 2 feet back from the cap, but I am sore that whole corner up to the cap will need replaced. All of the rot occurs before the first seam in the roof decking.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

Moved from Forum Technical Support

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I think you can peel the roof back since it is near a corner. They had to do that on my RV when it was new.

Good luck.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You will probably need to cut the rubber roofing to do the repairs/replacement of the wood.

After you finish the repairs you can glue the rubber to the wood using the proper adhesive.
My recommendation is to use Eternabond tape to seal any cuts in the rubber. It will give you a long lasting and leak proof repair.

You can then cover the roof with the coating of your choice, if you wish. If the rubber is in good condition it may not need coated.

Dicor self leveling lap sealant is another choice to seal the cuts in the rubber. It would be a little less expensive than Eternabond. But it will not be a permanent repair.

I Use Eternabond on roof seams and edges.