cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Inspector: Is there such a thing, or position?

Often a random thought enters my head as I think of different trades and professions.

I've been in the home renovation business for over 43 years now. I worked at a trailer factory in the 70's. I have extensive knowledge and understanding of how stuff is built, including RV's. And I have done extensive repair work on homes and RV's.

Here is the point of this post:

I will be 64 in July, I'm still working building sunrooms and patio covers. Can't take it any more. Severely injured right shoulder, rotator cuff, 2 tendons torn right off, another partly torn. I can't do my work like I used to. Doctor has ordered me to stay off ladders, roofs and other high places.

Wasn't smart enough to secure my future financially. Have to keep working. That's a whole other story I could write......

So I'm looking at other options or things I could do.

I have often done inspections of used RV's as a favor for people who don't know what to look for.

I'm wondering and asking here. Is there a market for RV inspectors? Do they offer training courses anywhere for additional knowledge beyond what I already know? Does such a trade exist?

I'm looking for another profession I could train for that's not so hard on my body as heavy construction is.

Any thoughts on this? Likely would be seasonal. Fine with me, I'd like to spend some time for me for once in my life before I croak...
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
11 REPLIES 11

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I did the online NRVIA inspector course and signed up with them to get listed in their database. I didn't go to do the hands-on portion. I don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't cheap. I just wanted some knowledge about RV systems so I could fix something on the road. Come time to renew, I didn't because I got exactly zero referrals from NRVIA. I didn't see any reason to send them more money.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I did a webcast with the local dealers' association about inspections. They put up my website as part of the cast. 7 o'clock the next morning I get an email from NRVIA saying that I needed to take their logo off my website because I didn't keep up. I did that right away and wrote back saying that if their marketing department was as efficient as their web police, then I would still be a member.

I was not impressed with NRVIA. Their prices are unreasonable and they take about half the fee. I didn't get a single referral in 2 years.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jfkmk wrote:
Have you considered being a home inspector? Or maybe both a home and an rv inspector? Seems kind of limited just inspecting rvs, especially since the service techs also inspect them.

Yes I actually have seriously considered that. I have a couple inquiries out for more info. Might get some training paid for, as wiping out my shoulder came from a work accident.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered being a home inspector? Or maybe both a home and an rv inspector? Seems kind of limited just inspecting rvs, especially since the service techs also inspect them.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Still climbing and crawling around to do it right.

Might want to check out the disclaimers on a sample boat survey. Reality is you won't be able to find everything and you need to cover yourself. Even with that don't forget errors and omissions insurance. RVs can be pretty expensive and if you miss an expensive issue, they could come back and hit you up for the loss.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The more ASI credentials you have the more compelling presentation you will have with the public.

A well laid out picto graphic inspection report would make your results more comprehensible to the public.

You need to state clearly in print the thoroughness of your inspection and what it is you are looking for.

You also need to state clearly stuff that is impossible to predict ie transmission remaining life, or, if your inspection does not include chassis running gear. Specifications for heating, refrigeration. water heating. What ate the definitions of Good / Bad ?

dpgllg wrote:
All good advice above

One thing that may be an issue is the "no ladders" part. I think most RV inspections would include the roof. If your not able to do ladders then this would be a problem.

Dave

I'm not too concerned about the no ladders deal. I still do it anyways, just have to be more careful. Climbing on an RV roof is nothing compared to where my work puts me.
But it is time to stop dangling 3 stories in the air trying to attach stuff together.
Doctor equates climbing a ladder to shoulder work. Doesn't have to be so.

I appreciate the comments here.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree the no ladders is a deal breaker, I took the NRVIA level 2 inspector course a few months ago, and to meet their inspection standards one must inspect the roof, this is best done by crawling around on the roof, looking at the sealant up close, but if roof access is not allowed by the owner,it can be done from a ladder around the perimeter.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice above

One thing that may be an issue is the "no ladders" part. I think most RV inspections would include the roof. If your not able to do ladders then this would be a problem.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Below in the new vs used comment
www.nrvia.org
was mentioned as a training as well as a referral source.
As was also mentioned in your region you may find work opportunities scarce. But you may want to expand on this theme.
Home inspections would encompass much of what you state your background as and are done not just for home buyers, but also for insurers. Insurance companies hire folks for commercial examinations as well as residential.
You would go and photograph the location, measure all buildings, and document construction where possible. I did this as bit work for a while to supplement myself as I finished construction on my house.

Search Indeed.com and others in your area for listings.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most RV mobile mechanics do RV inspections too. So, yes there is a need. In your area it might be very limited and seasonal, but it could make you a few dollars.