cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sagging springs on 2 yr old TT ??

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
I took our trailer to a shop for a wheel bearing repack. They have done work for me before and have good ratings. I think I can trust them.

As part of the service, they checked the springs. They said the springs were sagged out of spec and need to be replaced.
The trailer is 2 years old and I have about 10,000 miles on it.
I am skeptical.

I have a 2018 Arctic Fox 25Y TT. GVWR = 10,000lbs. Net carrying capacity = 3147 lbs.
No, I have not weighed it loaded as we normally load it.
It is my wife and I...no kids or pets.
I find it difficult to imagine that we load 3000 lbs into the trailer.

Does this sound possible? Sagging springs after 2 years and 10k miles?
I have an extended service contract. I have not asked yet, but is something like this normally covered?

Thanks!
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT
28 REPLIES 28

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Who's specs... Theirs?! Do YOU think anything is wrong? Are they all arched the same? Do they bottom out... Look for marks on the frame. Do the tires show any odd wear? Does the trailer track straight... more of an alignment issue. Any broken leafs? I'm on my third Sunnybrook, all with Dexter 3500, 5200 or 6000 axles and spring/equalizers. My 98 rode terrible from it bottoming out... the axles were hitting the frame and it would literally toss gallon jugs of water out of the sink and onto the floor. When it was 8 y.o. I bought new springs, the exact replacements, and they turned out to have exactly the same arch. Just an example of how good springs DONT sag easily.
FWIW, on Dexters advice, I replaced the original 2600 lb springs with 3000 lb and more arch and that made a totally great riding rv out of it. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you find they are sagging, just change the, yourself. Did all four on my fifth wheel in 4 hours. Had some outrageous quotes.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your comments!!
I am going camping tomorrow. Not ignoring it, but dealing with it later.
I got under and snapped pictures. I am no expert...obviously....but the springs are NOT flat. They still have a bow to them.
I sent an email to my dealer. Good guys. I expect an honest answer. I will call Northwood next week to discuss.
Probably wont be able to respond here until the weekend.
Cheers,
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, just ignore it, maybe it'll go away. :R

Photos

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say if it is not causing a problem, you don't have a problem, and I'd bet warranty will say the same thing. And you dint have a problem till someone told you that you did,.....someone who stands to profit from a problem that you didn't have
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
"US MADE" sure but where is the metal coming from to make those? Willing to be China as there are less and less

Call AF and see what they say. Never heard of that on an AF product...
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
AF is a great brand with a lot of carrying capacity. Unless you have been collecting rocks and bringing your tools, get another opinion.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
This issue has become more and more common with both Lippert and Dexter suspension systems. The cause is rooted in the use of inferior quality steel for the springs (possibly from China). If the springs have anything other than an elliptical shape, there is an issue. If the springs have flattened, you certainly want to replace them (with something other than Chinese steel) before you have one break and do damage. This has nothing to do with Northwood quality as they are vendor-supplied parts.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œI honestly wouldn't worry about it. I'm guessing the shop is trying to make more money off you.โ€œ

I would. Guessing can get expensive. Have your extended warranty provider check it. That โ€œcoversโ€ you should something happen since you now have knowledge of a possible issue. Keep the paperwork!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

richclover
Explorer
Explorer

Yep, my springs on a nearly new Coleman, since traded. After a 5200 mile trip last year I found damage to the bottom above each tire. Local tire shop ordered uograde springs, made in the USA, from these guys. Raised the trailer, more curve, so I had to adjust the WD hitch. Search the "Bottom damage" thread.

http://www.aaaspring.com/
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

I would be skeptical too, very skeptical.

Arctic Fox is a good brand and known for quality.

However, having said that, they don't make the springs themselves, they likely outsource them from who knows where.

2 years old, I would contact Arctic Fox and explain the situation to them and respectfully request input before just going with one shops diagnosis. At the very least, get a second opinion.

No way I would just put new springs on a near new trailer.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I've been around Northwood forums for many years and have NEVER heard of springs sagging.

Never heard of it on Dexter Axles either.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I'm guessing the shop is trying to make more money off you.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds unusual. I looked the Artic Fox years ago but considered it way too heavy for my needs.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is possible. Posting a photo and let us see the springs in question. If a spring has a noticeable flatness or reverse bend, it is bad. The quality of suspension components on trailers is poor.