cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite Pre-Wiring

I have a 2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield and am trying to understand how it is pre-wired for satellite. (I want to add an RF Mogul Eagle permanent-mounted antenna on the roof and connect it to a Dish Hopper 3 receiver.)

There are 2 coax jacks on the roof. Does one go to the entertainment center and one to the bedroom?

In the entetainment center, there are 3 coax cables in the cabinet above the TV. I assume one would attach to the receiver's input, but since the receiver's output is HDMI, what are the other 2 used for? (Maybe back in 2015 the receiver's output would have been coax?)

There are 2 coax connections behind the TV. One goes to the antenna/cable TV input. Was the other intended to connect the TV to the satellite system? That is, does it connect to one of the 3 coax cables in the cabinet above?

In the bedroom, there are 2 currently-unused coax jacks. Are they part of the satellite system pre-wiring. (Neither the jacks behind the TV or in the bedroom are labeled.)

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Thanks
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
13 REPLIES 13

CA Traveler wrote:
HD and multiple channel reception (My DTV records 5) require better coax and connectors - ie less loss and higher bandwidth. This is for better reliability. If by dealer you mean RV dealer then I'm not suprised.

I'm curious: Was the prewire adequate for the power wires to the dish?

The installation was done by a Dish Network dealer that was an authorized installer of the RF Mogul antenna. He ran a new coax from the antenna thru the roof to the controller inside the rear/upper cabinet. He also connected the antenna to the controller with the multi-wire cable that provides power and control signals to the antenna.

To get the satellite signal from the controller to the receiver, he ran a new coax back up thru the roof to a pre-wired coax jack whos associated coax cable ran to the entertainment center where the receiver was located. (With the RF Mogul system, the satellite signal passes thru the controller to the receiver.)

He initially detected that the pre-wired jack was seriously corroded so he replaced it. When he checked out the installation, the system worked fine. (I don't know that he actually measured the quality of the signal going to the receiver. The system worked so apparently all was good.)

However, the problems I experienced where sometimes the receiver could acquire the signal and sometimes it couldn't, eventually lead to my running a new coax directly from the controller to the receiver (bypassing the pre-wired coax), and the problem went away.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
HD and multiple channel reception (My DTV records 5) require better coax and connectors - ie less loss and higher bandwidth. This is for better reliability. If by dealer you mean RV dealer then I'm not suprised.

I'm curious: Was the prewire adequate for the power wires to the dish?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

LouLawrence wrote:
Sounds like you installed a dome and not a Trav'ler. What was your final setup?

I did not install a dome or a Trav'ler. I had a dealer install an RF Mogul Eagle which is very similar to a Trav'ler.

IT worked great immediately after installation, but I had problems "acquiring a signal" the first time I moved to another location. Many support calls to Dish before finally getting a tech that identified the problem. The problem was the pre-wired coax that was used to connect the antenna controller to the receiver.

Instead of trying to get the bad coax replaced which would have been difficult and expensive, I ran a coax inside the trailer from the cabinet at the rear of the trailer where the controller box was located to the slide out with the entertainment center and Dish receiver. The cabinet and the entertainment center are only about 4 feet apart so I was able to do a neat run of the coax, and I left a loop of extra length that allows the slide out to move in and out without stressing the coax.

So far, so good.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you installed a dome and not a Trav'ler. What was your final setup?

I had the satellite system installed last week and we are enjoying great tv; however, I didn't learn a lot about the pre-wiring. Here is all I can add:

Of the 2 coax jacks on the roof, one goes to the entertainment center and one goes to the bedroom tv.

Of the 3 coax cables in the entertainment center, one comes from the roof, but I don't know what the other 2 connect to. I suspect that one comes from one of the 2 satellite jacks on the utility panel (for use with a portable antenna). Maybe the other one goes to the satellite jack in the "basement" (to connect a basement-mounted tv).

I learned very little about the pre-wiring because very little info was needed to set up our system.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had two Crossroad Redwood and both we pre-wired for the Winegard Traveler with the control cable/connect under the plate with the two coax connectors.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The RF Mogul uses a single coax. The technology is SWM (Single Wire Multiplex). The coax goes to a power brick and then on to the RF Mogul controller. The power cable goes to the controller. The conroller coax which is SWM goes to my DTV H44 which can record 5 channels at the same time.

The HDMI controller output goes to the TV. Since the H44 is a Genie the controller coax output can be routed to Genie Clients which are not receivers but instead are depenent on the Genie.

Your 2 coax setup is likely intended for a dual LNB dish. But you should be able to use just one coax IF there are no related splitters. However since you will be routing the power cable I recomment you route a high quality coax that has the bandwidth etc recommended for SWM.

PM me if you want to know more. And PS my daughter/family live in Carnation.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
What we do know is that the coach is NOT pre-wired for an RF Mogul antenna. This antenna is excellent but requires a separate, RF Mogul only, cable. The same is true if you wanted the Winegard Trav'ler (my preferred choice). It's likely the "pre-wire" is for a dome antenna and one coax would run from the "main" connection of a dome to the master receiver and the 2nd could or could not be used but would go the 2nd slave receiver if one was used.
It's pretty easy to run the required cable for your RF Mogul so that should not be a reason not to install the antenna.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your best option is to "Tone out" the cables.. This is easier than it sounds using a Cable Tracker or using a cable toner

What's a cable toner? Two devices one sends an audio tone down the cable it has a common "F" type connector and a battery and a switch
The other is basically a speaker with an "F" connector

Hook the transmitter to one end then hook the speaker to cables till you hear tone.> label it

Cable tracker is a Radio transmitter and a receiver very directional receiver.
Hook to the SHIELD (nut) on the wire to be examined (And if there is a ground around hook to it too or hook the ground lead to a good hunk of metal)(

Point the receiver wand at the assorted cables and the loudest BEEP is the one.

Method 3
Battery. test leads (or short coax.. connector on one end. other end stripped and hooked to battery) 9V retangular is good here

Now using a 12 volt automotive test light Test the other end and the one that lights.. Label both ends.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
What each coax does will be easy to figure out, install satellite to either coax on roof, than coax inside rig to receiver, no signal just switch coax until you get signal. Of course you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a coax tester for $30, that way no guessing where theses coaxes lead to.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if Crossroads gave you a wiring diagram there's no guarantee it's accurate. If there's one thing RV manufacturers are known for, it's their lack of consistency. I'd fabricate some shorting connectors and ohm-out the cables (and hope there's no DC blocking components in between).

It took us a bit of time to ohm-out our truck camper's OTA/cable wiring in order to install a Dish satellite system.

Good luck.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately you'll have to short each cable at one end, then use your voltmeter to check for 0 ohms at the other end.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DS_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
You may be able to obtain a wiring diagram from the coach maker.

Failing that trial and error is your only real option.

In our coach which is n old 1998 Dutchstar everything was labeled from the factory so itโ€™s quite simple to figure things out.