cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Schwintek Slide Problem

BayouBoys
Explorer
Explorer
On a routine check of my RV, the slide won't go out. It is the Schwintek type slide. I have already read through all the manual & bulletins and watched their youtube videos. I have tried everything they suggested and nothing is working.

When I press the button, I hear both motors whine for a few seconds then stop, so I know the motors are getting power. The controller is giving me a code 8 & 9. If the controller were not getting a signal then the motors should not do anything (code8). If there were a short in the wiring, the fuse would blow and the motor would not do anything (code9).

I bypassed the limit switch just to get things moving and nothing happens. I have released the motor brakes and the slide will not budge. The slide is in the closed position and I can't get at the motors.

Any suggestions? BTW it is out of warranty and the dealer can't fix a leaky faucet.
2014 Passport 3220BH
2019 Ford F250 6.7L
23 REPLIES 23

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III

Still having trouble with it?

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

This thread is 10 years old. I would suspect the op has sorted it out by now. Also the op hasn't returned to the site in 5 years.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
hook47 wrote:
On the Suite Owners site, it has been said that you should hold the switch for 10 seconds when fully extended and when fully retracted to sync the motors. I don't do this every time but I do it fairly often. DRV units with the Schwintek systems have reported similar problems. I haven't had any yet.

This is for IF the front and rear mechanism does NOT track straight. The OP's problem is NOT this. His upper and lower gears are not in synch and the motor turn BOTH at the same time thru the connected driveshaft. You ARE supposed to hold the extend or retract button for more than 10 seconds after the room fully extends or retracts and this does synch both front and rear motors. LCI recommends to do this every time you operate the Scwintek type slide system. Doug

hook47
Explorer
Explorer
On the Suite Owners site, it has been said that you should hold the switch for 10 seconds when fully extended and when fully retracted to sync the motors. I don't do this every time but I do it fairly often. DRV units with the Schwintek systems have reported similar problems. I haven't had any yet.
2008 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 4X4 CC / Banks IQ with Speedbrake & Economind tuner /2013 38RESB3...I know, the TV color doesn't match the MS!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
McKenziek wrote:
Just got mine back from the dealer. the slide seems to go in and out better now but there is another problem. The slide comes in tight at the top but about an inch short at the bottom. Any ideas before I take it back for another 3 months.

That's not good. The upper and bottom gears are synched with the driveshaft. Was the room tight when you picked it up and then this happened? If either the top or bottom is not straight, that means the mechanism gears are out of wack and the only way to fix that is to remove the mechanism and if you do that, the nylon shoes will either fall out or be busted. Get it back and DO NOT attempt to do anything on your own. The odds are they will have to replace both slide racks again as they did not install them correctly. If NOT done correctly, this type problem happens. Doug

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
Get the slide to where it's in and seated properly. It may take several people pushing on one side. When my small slide failed and we had to push it in manually, it took 3 grown men pushing for all they were worth.

Once it's seated, hold in the control switch for a few seconds (I think it's 5 or 7 seconds?). This is supposed to reset the controller so it thinks this is your new "zero".

This worked for us, our slide was slightly cocked after being serviced.

McKenziek
Explorer
Explorer
Just got mine back from the dealer. the slide seems to go in and out better now but there is another problem. The slide comes in tight at the top but about an inch short at the bottom. Any ideas before I take it back for another 3 months.
2005 Monaco Diplomat

BayouBoys
Explorer
Explorer
Still at the dealer. They can't get the slide open either.

I have had numerous problems with this slide since we bought the unit. Seems like we have to take to dealer every time I have a trip planned.

DW and I gave up. Trading her in for a Passport 3220BH
2014 Passport 3220BH
2019 Ford F250 6.7L

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
McKenziek wrote:
Doug,

5. IF you think you need 500 to 1 , then FIX the REAL problem with the slide, do NOT install a larger torque motor as a band aid.

Because of my large slide and 2013 model, I assume I have the 500 to 1. So if the motor has plenty of torque then what else could be the problem. My only quess is the frame is out of square and its binding, at least that is how its acting. Now, how the hell can that be corrected?

Scwintek systems are extremely simple, but diagnosing them is complicated. I have replaced numerous complete front and rear rack systems over the years after the system was not installed correctly. There are specific measurements and items to look at when determining failure. There is a white tag on the inside upper mount that will have the Scwintek numbers. Scwintek can tell you if you have 500 or 300 motors. Doug

McKenziek
Explorer
Explorer
Doug,

5. IF you think you need 500 to 1 , then FIX the REAL problem with the slide, do NOT install a larger torque motor as a band aid.

Because of my large slide and 2013 model, I assume I have the 500 to 1. So if the motor has plenty of torque then what else could be the problem. My only quess is the frame is out of square and its binding, at least that is how its acting. Now, how the hell can that be corrected?
2005 Monaco Diplomat

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
lightfoot wrote:
McKenziek - If you can get to the motors, see if your dealer will get you a set of the new 50:1 ratio motors. It will move slower, but there is more power to move the slide.

1. They are 300 to 1 and 500 to 1 motors. 300 to 1 have been used from the get go. 500 to 1 were designed for the larger slide rooms.
2. UNDER warranty, LCI will NOT allow a 500 to 1 motor system to be installed.
3. The 500 to 1 are for the large slide rooms
4. Out of warranty, you can purchase 500 to 1 motors and install them, but LCI states the 300 to 1 slide rail mechanism is not designed to handle the higher Torque 500 to 1 motors.
5. IF you think you need 500 to 1 , then FIX the REAL problem with the slide, do NOT install a larger torque motor as a band aid. Doug

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
McKenziek - If you can get to the motors, see if your dealer will get you a set of the new 50:1 ratio motors. It will move slower, but there is more power to move the slide.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

McKenziek
Explorer
Explorer
Coincidentally I have the same problem and have done all the troubleshooting as well and I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow. Mine is a Mega slide (the whole side of RV) and is way too heavy to slide manually. Mine gets about 3/4 of the way out and one side just stops like there is something stuck under the rollers. I've had the Schwintek system on my Voltage as well and also had problems.

Be sure and let us know what the dealer finds. I'll do the same.
2005 Monaco Diplomat

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
WHAT limit switch????? Scwintek has no limit switch. The Brake release is NOT really a brake release. Once you do the so called brake release, it takes 3 or 4 people to manually push the room in or out. DID YOU PUT THE CONTROLLER IN OVERRIDE MODE? Code 8 or 9 on WHICH motor? for others--DO NOT REMOVE THE OUTSIDE MOTOR SCREW, IF YOU DO YOU WILL CAUSE THE MOTOR TO SPIN AND PULL THE WIRES OUT OF THE MOTOR AND POSSIBLY RUIN BOTH THE WIRE QUICK CONNECTS ON EACH WIRE END. You remove the screw and then LIFT the motors straight up about an inch to disengage from the drive shaft. Using a screwdriver to do that. Obviously you cannot do that if the system fails with the room retracted. Doug