cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing Honda 2000

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
A friend had his eu3000 stolen during hurricane Irma, what a painful loss. I'm heading to a college tailgate next weekend and was going to bring the Honda. Made me wonder, what is the best way to secure the gen? At some point, I can turn it off and let it cool down so I can pack in the SUV but there will be times when it is running and I am temporarily away and don't want to worry about whether it is being stolen. It is an older unit , 2004. Attaching a cable to the handle seems the only logical option but a plastic handle isn't very secure.
26 REPLIES 26

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
For security, you can't beat the LowPro LockDown system. It's expensive, but does a fantastic job at securing the generator. Nothing is theft proof, but this sure makes them work hard at it.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Use solar/battery/inverter and leave the honda at home. Tailgate party will that much better.

Please explain, in detail and with links to sources, how to run a 15,000btu air conditioner with a solar/battery/inverter system. Be specific.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This is similar to what I have. I was able to remove the hooks. Loop cable through one of the eyes and secure to tree or rig. You can also secure both eyes to lock for short requirement. These are much lighter then chain and are harder to cut.
Cable

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Use solar/battery/inverter and leave the honda at home. Tailgate party will that much better.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

So..... where are all these Hondas with cut handles?

I have never seen one, or even a picture of one, or a report of an actual occurrence

Do you watch TV ?
Not very much. Your link illustrates why.
It is to a Moonshiner show.. They talk about how a lot of the show is staged, or IOW fake for entertainment purposes. I did not poke around the site to see if there is a Honda with a cut handle on it somewhere... It is a show with a script staged for TV. Not real life, so I won't waste my time with it. I am not sure what your point is.

Notice, I never said that a handle has never been cut. Only that the frequency of it happening is overblown.
I am sure that some addict somewhere has done it, stupidly thinking he could sell it for drug money. Obviously with the 588.00 dollar tab to fix the Honda, that is a big FAIL. But some thieves are not too bright.
And some non thieves believe that reality TV shows are actually real! Hollywood has done a good job.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:

I have never seen one, or even a picture of one, or a report of an actual occurrence

Do you watch TV ?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
The security handle plates are great. It is pretty easy to cut the plastic handle, without power tools.
The world does not know forever it was stolen, all you have to do is order new plastic case halves.
Honda sells every single part of that unit, down to the exact screws and washers.
The case halves are 290.00 each,
With shipping it comes to 588.00!! No tax.

I seriously doubt that a thief will put that kind of money into a used Honda that he stole.

For that kind of money a used one can be bought.

I have never seen one, or even a picture of one, or a report of an actual occurrence.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The security handle plates are great. It is pretty easy to cut the plastic handle, without power tools.
The world does not know forever it was stolen, all you have to do is order new plastic case halves.
Honda sells every single part of that unit, down to the exact screws and washers.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

robert_at_honda
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I'm REALLY surprised that no one suggested paining it yellow (I have a yellow generator for home backup).

So I was visiting a big Honda commercial mower dealer out in CA, and they were prepping some new mowers for a client. After everything was inspected and tested, the shop guy wheeled them outside, and use a can of brown and can of black spray paint and randomly painted over all marks, stickers, taking care to not get any paint on the engine or controls. He then sprinkled loose soil, clippings, and debris which really made the mower look like absolute ****. He looked up at my shocked face and smiled, "So they don't look like Hondas, and won't get stolen off the trailer"

RickSo
Explorer
Explorer
This may slow them down as well.

Honda security handle
Rick
----------------------------------------
2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 Dually
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo Toy Hauler
2010 BMW K1300GT / 2008 BMW R1200GS
2016 Polaris RZR 1000S

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm REALLY surprised that no one suggested paining it yellow (I have a yellow generator for home backup).

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

I match the holes in the tubing and in new tubing frame, I drilled big holes at the bottom and smaller to hold the bolts on upper skin.
So the only way to get in/out is metric socket.

For a few dollars, use a Torx Plus bolt. Just don't loose the socket/wrench.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Have your wife sit beside the Honda till you get back. Be careful if its running, make sure that the exhaust is facing away from her.
Dennis Hoppert

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you secure your generator by chain or cable you should be fine.

In Quartzsite every winter numerous Honda 2000i are stolen. Every one was not secured which gives the thief a quick grab and run.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires