cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shark Bite on older pex

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a class C from 1999 (built in spring '98) and was looking to replace 2 leaky elbows under the sink.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't this around the time pex was first being used (it says "pex" not sure if it's the same as today's).

The pex seems to have etched in identification on it, would this be an issue with shark bite fittings? Of the 4 push fit connections I made, only 1 felt "smooth" and the others were rough (grab ring passing by lettering?)
6 REPLIES 6

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Properly prepped pex tubing should have no issues with sharkbite fittings, I always carry a couple along with a variety of standard plastic fittings commonly used by RV manufacturers.

As long as they are not leaking you are good, otherwise use whatever type fitting was installed at the factory, they are usually less expensive anyway and last for years.

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Sharkbites in our manufactured home. It's a '94. I have been running way high pressure as well, and I'm amazed at how good they work!
I have used them in our new RV doing a faucet change out with no issue.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YES...mid-late 1990s PEX started being used in RVs
PEX A is Rigid and PEX B is mor flexible
PEX A is most common

Cut the PEX Square/no burrs and Sharkbite (Home Depot) GatorBite (Lowes) fittings are great to use
Another product that is good to use are Flair-It fittings
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Pex is compatible with different types of pipe. The etched writing on the Pex should not cause a leak.
I've connected Pex to copper, the copper was cleaned with emery cloth and was not smooth. It's been leak free for 15 years.
Make sure the Pex is clean, mark it to the proper length and push the fitting on to the mark.

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
If replacing the fittings good practice would be to trim the end of the Pex to create an unblemished end for the new connection.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I imagine PEX is PEX but the bigger question is does it leak? SharkBite fittings have always worked for me on PEX.
Puma 30RKSS