cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shaw Direct/Winegard

jheppner
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you Canadians had trouble with your Winegard automatic dish not being able to locate and hone in on the Shaw Direct satellites?
23 REPLIES 23

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a bad solution. Winegard does not appear to have been able to find a solution and is simply telling their users what to do as a work-around.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jheppner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not particularly happy with Winegard's explanation regarding their satellite dish locating the Shaw Direct satellites but here's what I was told. Go into your Shaw Direct "Options" menu on the TV screen and bring up the page showing the satellite signals. Deploy the satellite dish and wait for the satellite signals to read green and in the 90s. At this point, your Winegard controller should read "Satellite ID: 111". Immediately push the "Select" and "Power" buttons simultaneously on the controller which will lock in the satellite signal. We have used this method for weeks now and it works fine. Winegard says "With the changes Shaw made, services in the states will be hit or miss. If you can get it to work in manual, then that is your best option."

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
The update is hardware that includes a new controller and internals in the turret. Any software would come programmed into the controller. Please let us know what Wingard says. I have heard of some dealers having issues with the new update as well.
Roy

2011 GMC 3500, Duramax, Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG with most options

jheppner
Explorer
Explorer
We definitely have the latest LNB, plus the new software provided by Winegard, which was installed in October. As I said, the automatic dish worked fine as we were travelling south until we arrived in the Laughlin area. Now we are still moving south and we're having to stop the dish when it finds "111". No more "automatic"! When we do this, our signals are always over "90 green" but because we're only working off "111", there are a number of channels missing, none of which affect our viewing habits, thank goodness. As soon as I get good cell phone reception, I will call Winegard to try and get some more up to date information.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just curious: you didn't state the vintage of your Travel'r. Do you have the xKU triple LNB?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That really sucks. Please keep update once you get in touch with Winegard.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

jheppner
Explorer
Explorer
No, it definitely is not working after paying for the updated software. See my post of October 19 where I've reported Winegard's solution. I've been meaning to call them to get further info but right now I'm in a bad area for cell phone reception.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not working after you did the $600 required update?

jheppner
Explorer
Explorer
We're now in Parker, Arizona, and the Winegard/Shaw Direct is still not operating on "automatic" but at least we can get a signal even though there are still some channels missing. I'm not going to call Shaw Direct about this because then I might have to explain where I am.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Down Mexico way?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jheppner
Explorer
Explorer
We have had the Winegard updated software installed in our dish for Shaw Direct. It worked fine all the way to Laughlin where it decided it couldn't find both satellites so it stowed. I called Winegard and they said when it honed in on "111" I should push the power and select buttons at the same time to lock the dish in. They said DO NOT pull the plug as you will have to have the controller totally re-set. I've been following their instructions and it works fine although I object to paying approximately $500 for software that doesn't do what it was supposed to. At this point, we're not having any problems getting the HD channels although they have a tendency to go missing and then return again. Very puzzling.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
MDKMDK wrote:
It was my understanding that the newer G1 satellite, which is supposed to carry most of the HD stuff now, casts a more northerly coverage shadow, than the old Anik F1/F2 birds. ShawD customers have been reporting that they can still receive programming south of the 49th, but that it's inconsistent.
Anecdotally, I was shopping for a portable dish receiver system a few years back and was told by Winegard, that the Trav'ler full sized roof mounted dish would probably be the best bet to pick up anything in the US, going forward. They said the domed portable systems "paddle" dishes were probably too small to be effective in picking up signal.
Maybe some ShawD customers in the deep south will add an update of where they are (approximately?) and what dish/systems they're using?

Winegard was being generous with their description of service with ShawD and a dome. First, you would have to buy a dome for ShawD as the standard domes will not work. 2nd, the domes will not receive any programming outside of Canada or the extreme N. parts of the US.

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
As to the upgrade the winegard part number is sk-73up
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
It was my understanding that the newer G1 satellite, which is supposed to carry most of the HD stuff now, casts a more northerly coverage shadow, than the old Anik F1/F2 birds. ShawD customers have been reporting that they can still receive programming south of the 49th, but that it's inconsistent.
Anecdotally, I was shopping for a portable dish receiver system a few years back and was told by Winegard, that the Trav'ler full sized roof mounted dish would probably be the best bet to pick up anything in the US, going forward. They said the domed portable systems "paddle" dishes were probably too small to be effective in picking up signal.
Maybe some ShawD customers in the deep south will add an update of where they are (approximately?) and what dish/systems they're using?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)